Sign in to follow this  

'89 RM 125

Hey All,

So, I have a 1989 RM 125 that's been collecting dust in the barn for the last 10+ years. I used to ride it all the time when I was growing up, but have been busy with other stuff until now. Rather than letting it sit and rot I thought it would be fun to tear it completely apart and rebuild it. It was running when I parked it and I could get it to turn over with 2 or 3 kicks every time. I don't want to go back with the original factory look with blue/yellow plastics at all. I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys have. Here's what I want to do:

1. Get it running again. I'm assuming I should pull the reeds, top end, carb, etc and check for grime/dirt...give them a throrough cleaning.... I'll take any suggestions here..

2. Sandblast the wheels/frame and maybe powder-coat or just paint it black.

3. Change out all the plastics and update everything from the seat, tank, fenders, shrouds, etc. I would like to retro-fit plastics from 2000-now as I have a lot more options. I've seen the front/back fenders I can get in many colors from Dennis Kirk and other places, but I've always wanted to have the sweet graphics kits and none of my bikes ever had them. I understand that the frame design and everything else has changed a lot since 1989, but I have a MIG welder and cutoff wheels and I'm OK with making brackets as long as it doesn't turn out really dumb... shouldn't be that tough right? =o)

4. Maybe big bore kit... lets see what happens after 1-3 are done

Here's some pictures.. none of the plastics are broken, just missing some bolts:

2014-07-27 13.43.56.jpg
2014-07-27 13.44.04.jpg
2014-07-27 13.44.16.jpg

I'll take any advice you can give me. Thanks for the help!

Hey All,

So, I have a 1989 RM 125 that's been collecting dust in the barn for the last 10+ years. I used to ride it all the time when I was growing up, but have been busy with other stuff until now. Rather than letting it sit and rot I thought it would be fun to tear it completely apart and rebuild it. It was running when I parked it and I could get it to turn over with 2 or 3 kicks every time. I don't want to go back with the original factory look with blue/yellow plastics at all. I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys have. Here's what I want to do:

1. Get it running again. I'm assuming I should pull the reeds, top end, carb, etc and check for grime/dirt...give them a throrough cleaning.... I'll take any suggestions here..

2. Sandblast the wheels/frame and maybe powder-coat or just paint it black.

3. Change out all the plastics and update everything from the seat, tank, fenders, shrouds, etc. I would like to retro-fit plastics from 2000-now as I have a lot more options. I've seen the front/back fenders I can get in many colors from Dennis Kirk and other places, but I've always wanted to have the sweet graphics kits and none of my bikes ever had them. I understand that the frame design and everything else has changed a lot since 1989, but I have a MIG welder and cutoff wheels and I'm OK with making brackets as long as it doesn't turn out really dumb... shouldn't be that tough right? =o)

4. Maybe big bore kit... lets see what happens after 1-3 are done

Here's some pictures.. none of the plastics are broken, just missing some bolts:

attachicon.gif2014-07-27 13.43.56.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-07-27 13.44.04.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-07-27 13.44.16.jpg

I'll take any advice you can give me. Thanks for the help!

It looks like pretty clean for an 89. Should be a cool project keep us updated. As far as plastics I would just buy a subframe and a compleat set of plastics and make it fit.

• Like 1

I pulled the tank/plastics to check out the subframe (see attached). Looks like I'll need to do some cutting/welding. If anyone has their 03+ RM torn apart, could you show me the side/top views? I want to make sure I get the angle right if I need to make new tabs for the new subframe.

2014-07-29 12.37.29.jpg

2014-07-29 12.37.42.jpg

2014-07-29 12.37.55.jpg

Got all the parts, tank, shrouds, subframe, fenders, plate, seat.... Cut the old subframe off this weekend and got it somewhat mocked up. The big challenge is going to be routing my expansion chamber. Since the 89-91 (I think) routes all the way up by the seat, I'm wondering if anyone knows if I could use a new expansion chamber/pipe or would it make my engine run like crap?

2014-08-08 07.51.26.jpg

2014-08-08 07.51.33.jpg

2014-08-09 10.00.30.jpg

2014-08-09 10.00.46.jpg

Looks good I'm not sure at the pipe and silencer. I would try to find one off the same year as the plastic. I'm not sure about the exhaust port diameter will work but theirs allot of guys on here that know the 125's really good.

Looks good I'm not sure at the pipe and silencer. I would try to find one off the same year as the plastic. I'm not sure about the exhaust port diameter will work but theirs allot of guys on here that know the 125's really good.

And I would probably try heat for the swing arm or maybe try to press it out somehow

Thanks tractorman. We'll see if anyone else gets excited.... must be a boring post :)

slammed,

All the parts I got fit 02-06 RM 125/250. The biggest modification I would say is the subframe (thanks to tractorman for the idea) which you'll have to cut the stock one off and weld a bracket to accept the new subframe style which is bolt-on. That way, everything from the engine back will fit into factory holes and you'll have to do far less modification to get things to fit and look good. Here's the list of stuff I got and years, mostly from ebay:

Tank/Shrouds - 2002 - Surprisingly, they match up to the radiator with no mods. Might have to weld on a bracket for the lower bolt on the radiator

Seat - 2005

Subframe - 2002

Airbox - 2004 - fits perfectly into the subframe and fits the stock location of the 90's carburetor

Fenders, side panels, # plate, shrouds - 2006 from Dennis Kirk for under $100!

It's really crazy how there are some major design changes, yet a lot of the angles are almost identical between the years. On the left side, the subframe bolts directly into where the old sub-frame did (once cut off) and has the right seat angle. I'll post more after I get the welding completed.

Thanks tractorman. We'll see if anyone else gets excited.... must be a boring post :)

slammed,

All the parts I got fit 02-06 RM 125/250. The biggest modification I would say is the subframe (thanks to tractorman for the idea) which you'll have to cut the stock one off and weld a bracket to accept the new subframe style which is bolt-on. That way, everything from the engine back will fit into factory holes and you'll have to do far less modification to get things to fit and look good. Here's the list of stuff I got and years, mostly from ebay:

Tank/Shrouds - 2002 - Surprisingly, they match up to the radiator with no mods. Might have to weld on a bracket for the lower bolt on the radiator

Seat - 2005

Subframe - 2002

Airbox - 2004 - fits perfectly into the subframe and fits the stock location of the 90's carburetor

Fenders, side panels, # plate, shrouds - 2006 from Dennis Kirk for under $100!

It's really crazy how there are some major design changes, yet a lot of the angles are almost identical between the years. On the left side, the subframe bolts directly into where the old sub-frame did (once cut off) and has the right seat angle. I'll post more after I get the welding completed.

I've often thought about doing the same thing to my 98 rmx 250 it didn't get the update the rm's did it has all 89-92 rm plastics I've been waiting for a big while out to tweak the subframe before I do it. Not really looking forward to bending the sub frame but if it happens. I will do the same thing.

• Like 1

Also, having a tough time getting the swingarm bolt out. I've doused it with PB Blaster, but it won't budge. What's next heat?

getting that out isnt going to be fun. my dad had the same bike and when trying to beat it out it actually bent the frame out a half inch bc it was seized in there so bad

getting that out isnt going to be fun. my dad had the same bike and when trying to beat it out it actually bent the frame out a half inch bc it was seized in there so bad

Dang. I bet it's never been off of there. Hope PB Blaster will do the trick.

I've often thought about doing the same thing to my 98 rmx 250 it didn't get the update the rm's did it has all 89-92 rm plastics I've been waiting for a big while out to tweak the subframe before I do it. Not really looking forward to bending the sub frame but if it happens. I will do the same thing.

When I get the welds done, I'll try and explain how/what I did and take good pics.

I ended up cutting the swingarm off because the bolt was seized. I just cut the bolt on both sides of the swingarm to allow the engine to be freed up. The bearings in the swingarm had bonded to the sleeve and wouldn't allow the shaft to budge. Cutoff wheel and hacksaw, but I finally have it torn down!

Edited by jwesty

Been making a bunch of progress. After stripping the frame and fabbing up some brackets out of cardboard, I saw an 04 frame on eBay for $30! I thought there must be something horribly wrong with it, but I bought it anyway... It's in near perfect condition! I'm not sure if I'm even going to re-paint it as the only scratches/scrapes are on the underside. And, even better yet, the engine mounts look almost identical to the 89 frame, so I may have lucked out. I also got a 04 expansion chamber and silencer for $25! It's a little banged up, but since I need to modify it to fit around my engine it will do just fine at least for a test.. if it makes the engine run like crap, I'll come up with something else. Based on what I've measured, the inlet of the expansion chamber will fit the 89, but I will need to widen the first bend just a little bit to accomodate the cylinder head (approximately 2") and it should bolt up exactly to the frame.

I replaced the swingarm bearings, using this process, worked like a champ.

I finally have all the parts I need. Here's what I have left to do:

- Pull the back disk brake. Suzuki thought it would be hilarious to use Phillips head bolts.. I could get all but 2 of them out. So I'm going to weld a real bolt to the top and see if I can't back out the last 2

- Paint the wheels, hubs, spokes

- Rebuild the mono shock (or maybe buy a new-ish one)

- Paint the clutch cover and other various smaller parts

- Rebuild the brakes

- Triple tree

- Footpegs

- New bars, grips, throttle tube

- Testfit the engine, make adjustments if needed, swingarm

Assuming everything fits well, this should go together relatively quickly I hope! I'll post some pics shortly.

Edited by jwesty

Been making a bunch of progress. After stripping the frame and fabbing up some brackets out of cardboard, I saw an 04 frame on eBay for $30! I thought there must be something horribly wrong with it, but I bought it anyway... It's in near perfect condition! I'm not sure if I'm even going to re-paint it as the only scratches/scrapes are on the underside. And, even better yet, the engine mounts look almost identical to the 89 frame, so I may have lucked out. I also got a 04 expansion chamber and silencer for $25! It's a little banged up, but since I need to modify it to fit around my engine it will do just fine at least for a test.. if it makes the engine run like crap, I'll come up with something else. Based on what I've measured, the inlet of the expansion chamber will fit the 89, but I will need to widen the first bend just a little bit to accomodate the cylinder head (approximately 2") and it should bolt up exactly to the frame.

I replaced the swingarm bearings, using this process, worked like a champ.

I finally have all the parts I need. Here's what I have left to do:

- Pull the back disk brake. Suzuki thought it would be hilarious to use Phillips head bolts.. I could get all but 2 of them out. So I'm going to weld a real bolt to the top and see if I can't back out the last 2

- Paint the wheels, hubs, spokes

- Rebuild the mono shock (or maybe buy a new-ish one)

- Paint the clutch cover and other various smaller parts

- Rebuild the brakes

- Triple tree

- Footpegs

- New bars, grips, throttle tube

- Testfit the engine, make adjustments if needed, swingarm

Assuming everything fits well, this should go together relatively quickly I hope! I'll post some pics shortly.

Sounds like it's going pretty good are you using all 89 suspension parts or getting 04 stuff?

I just checked to see if the engine would fit in the existing tabs. Seems to be the case so I shouldn't have to make any mods to the engine mounting itself. The linkage for the shock looks like it won't mount up.. pretty easy to spot that they are way different. I'm really stoked about the ProTaper bars.. I've always wanted a pair! I opted for the 7/8" versus the 1 1/8" purely because I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for the mounts.

2014-09-08 18.05.11.jpg

2014-09-11 10.50.59.jpg

2014-09-11 10.51.08.jpg

2014-09-11 10.54.40.jpg

2014-09-11 10.55.04.jpg

Edited by jwesty

Sounds like it's going pretty good are you using all 89 suspension parts or getting 04 stuff?

I think I'm going to be SOL on the mono shock as far as the linkage is concerned.. I do play to re-use the forks though as they are in great shape.