Sign in to follow this  

Yz250 or rm250

Hey, I'm looking at an 04 rm 250 that appears to be in good shape. It seems like everyone likes yz 250s a lot but transworld motocross rated the 04 rm 250 the best 250 2t of the year . Should I get the rm250 or get the yz250? I want a 2 stroke and I want to do both trails and dunes . Am I looking at the right bikes even for this task as far as 2ts go?

I would get the YZ.... but the RMs are pretty sweet too...

I think a lot of guys prefer the motor and suspension of the YZ but the appreciate the turning of the RM more. GENERALLY (at least in my area) the RMs go for quite a bit cheaper then the YZs of similar years. The YZs seem to hold value better too. With a huge following, lots of parts from all YZ models including 4ts can be switched back and forth also...

I had a choice between any bike a while ago, and I went to a trusty YZ 250...

• Like 1

well Suzuki copied the YZ motor and uses the same piston ... go with the RM like Transworld says ... they are very nice bikes.

I'd probably opt for the RM if the condition of both bikes are equal. They're generally cheaper and I like the chassis a lot more than the YZ. The 04 RM had the modern showa suspension and has good potential for a woods setup. It should work rather well stock in the sand. The yz has such a great motor and stock suspension but the chassis just feels so eh. I wish it was more like the same gen yz125 then it would be the perfect bike.

Both bikes can be very good trail bikes, if they are set up for that. I have the 05 YZ with revalved SSS suspension. Love the suspension of the YZ but the motor of the RM is just so much easier to lug in the tight woods. LOTS of used parts for the YZ on fleaBay. Not so many parts for the RM.  I'm 6'2 and both bikes felt cramped compared to the 04 KTM 300exc I had. Fastway pegs and 1" bar risers helped the cramped felling. Go with the bike that is in better shape, you wont be disappointed with either one.   

Thanks guys . Is their much truth to the heads not flowing well and burning up on the rms? Or were those different years ?

You may be thinking of the rmz. The four stroke. I have never heard of any problems with the 2 stroke.

I have an 04 Rm250 and while it is a great bike I think the quality of them is terrible. Lots of money to keep them in good shape. Have been riding it for 2 years in the woods now and am going blue next year. Parts are not cheap and never seem to come up on clist or the classifieds for the RM. Have ridden a friends 13 yz250 and think the RM's engine is a tad better, but as a whole the yz seems like a better bike.

I have an 04 Rm250 and while it is a great bike I think the quality of them is terrible. Lots of money to keep them in good shape. Have been riding it for 2 years in the woods now and am going blue next year. Parts are not cheap and never seem to come up on clist or the classifieds for the RM. Have ridden a friends 13 yz250 and think the RM's engine is a tad better, but as a whole the yz seems like a better bike.

Can you go into more detail what issues you had with quality?

Can you go into more detail what issues you had with quality?

Clutch componets, rear brake lever, always seem like I have to grease the seals on the rear suspension compared to my yz450, Had to weld on new tabs for the footpegs since the originals were wore out, put new oem pins in and already wore out after 50 hours. Airbox is incredibly hard to seal off. Haven't had any transmission problems yet (knock on wood). I am not knocking the bike, I do like it, the engine is an absolute beast but just seems like it falls short on quality. It does handle awesome, but I would trade off how sharp it is for more straight line stability, I just feel the YZ was a better fit for ME. 

Well guys I ended up with an 01 yz250. It seems to run great. I rode both the 01 yz and the 04 rm 250 and I guess what sold me was that I felt more in control and safer on the yz for some strange reason. I'm excited to go out and ride this a little more . Thanks guys for all your input

Well guys I ended up with an 01 yz250. It seems to run great. I rode both the 01 yz and the 04 rm 250 and I guess what sold me was that I felt more in control and safer on the yz for some strange reason. I'm excited to go out and ride this a little more . Thanks guys for all your input

Thats awesome you came back and told us how it played out, That's really what it boils down to how you feel on the machine. You end up feeling safer and go faster.

I've had both. Loved both. Different pros and cons. You'll be happy with your YZ, I was with mine. You likely would have been happy with the RM too, I love mine. What matters is you got one and now you need to ride the piss out of it!! :) 

I would find whatever was in the best condition for how much money you can spend.  More then likely any bike you find 10 years old is going to need some kind of work to it.  Whether it is replacing fork seals, making sure the jetting is right, new top end...

I don't know much about riding dunes so not sure if 250 would be right for that or not.