Sign in to follow this  

Need some help w/ stamped Piston numbers

I have an 06 450r, rebuild the top end a few hours ago, the old piston had an "HF2" stamp on it.  Bad compression, shipped cylinder, piston, and head in for work, received it back; this piston is stamped "HF3".  New OEM rings will not fit the HF3 piston, called my local dealer their piston in stock that fits an '06 is stamped "HF7" on the bottom.  This is slowly driving me insane.... does anyone know the stamp marking on the bottom of the piston that should go into an '06?

The bottom of my '02's original piston is stamped HF2. I'm pretty sure the HFx numbers on the bottom are just foundry numbers, and not part numbers. As the '02 and the '06 bikes have different compression ratios with different pistons.

• Like 1

Thanks, i did some google searches that confirmed my suspicions, i was given an 09-12 450R piston.  Now i just need to find out if the machinist mixed up someone else's piston, or if i got the wrong kit from the dealer.

It was probably the dealer. Youre not the first one to have this happen too either. If you put the pistons side by side, level at the wrist pin, the later model style piston is shorter too.

What you have is the 13101-men-A30, what you want is the 13101-MEN-730

It was probably the dealer. Youre not the first one to have this happen too either. If you put the pistons side by side, level at the wrist pin, the later model style piston is shorter too.

What you have is the 13101-men-A30, what you want is the 13101-MEN-730

You are dead on; dealer sent the A30, which IMO is way to close to 730.  I actually unknowingly ran the A30 in the bike for a few hours, luckily with no issues

No issues other than the compression was probably only about 7:1, if that. You cant do it the othere way though, the old piston pokes out the deck of the new gen cylinder when assembled.