Need help with dirt bike buying.

Honestly mate you're a big boy!! And with 7k I'd be looking at a 450 or similar you'll get used to the power quickly hell I'm 6" and 200 pounds and wouldn't want any less than a 450f what do you want it for? I ride a crf450x and love it sprung for my weight it's a great bike!! The sky is the limit I recon new 450s are around the 8-9k in the US depending on whether you want an enduro or MX you might get the MXers for 7 otherwise you'll get a really good 2nd hand enduro or even get a good dealer special on a new one for that just factor in a few$$ for respring straight away!! All the best mate!! most exciting thing ever searching for a new bike!!!

• Like 1

Honestly mate you're a big boy!! And with 7k I'd be looking at a 450 or similar you'll get used to the power quickly hell I'm 6" and 200 pounds and wouldn't want any less than a 450f what do you want it for? I ride a crf450x and love it sprung for my weight it's a great bike!! The sky is the limit I recon new 450s are around the 8-9k in the US depending on whether you want an enduro or MX you might get the MXers for 7 otherwise you'll get a really good 2nd hand enduro or even get a good dealer special on a new one for that just factor in a few$$ for respring straight away!! All the best mate!! most exciting thing ever searching for a new bike!!!

thank you for that. I'm a college football end so I'm big lol. I will get a 450cc for sure. I want something that's legal on road and good off road...

would love to see a picture of you riding that XR100!  Because of your size, people will be recommending the 450's and 500's, but dont be fooled they have a lot of power and can get a newbie into serious trouble....even one your size.  You will need to learn throttle control first (and yes I realize that you know how to ride...but it is a HUGE leap from XR100 to any of the 450's

You will need to have the suspension modified for your weight and you will probably need bar risers and a taller seat.  I am assuming you are talking about offroad/enduro riding not MX.  I make that assumption since I dont think I have ever seen someone your size doing any MX racing (or not doing it well).

So, for that type of riding, you might look at:

KTM500 EXC/XCW

KTM 530 XCW

KTM 450 XCW

Husaberg FE 450/501

Husaberg FE 450/570

Husqvarna TE449/511

Husqvarna TE450

Yamaha WR450F

Honda CRF450X

You will have to look at laws for your state for making  one of these bikes street legal.  In Colorado, you can convert offroad bikes to plated with minimal equipment and then you have a great offroad bike that can be used on the road to connect from trail to trail.  If you really want a dual sport (which is a huge compromise) and not really that great on road or offroad, you might look at something like a KTM 690 or a Kawasaki KLR650.  You can buy brand new '14 Kawi KLR650's for about $6K....the KTM is $10K+  These bikes are sold as street legal.  I think for the list above the KTM 500 EXC, Husaberg FE570S and maybe some of the Husky's are sold as street legal.

Agreed silvfx a 450+ will take some getting used to but at his size a 250f would very quickly as his skill increases become not enough! And learning throttle control is a lot cheaper than having to buy another new bike! Bajacrazy, silvfx's bike list is a good one!! And I agree dual sports are more of a gravel road bike made for touring not any form of sport riding etc! And are a huge compromise for either dirt or road!

All the best with your search!!