Sign in to follow this  

WR250R Questions

I love this bike and been ridding the wheels off it. Did about 3000 miles in 6 weeks and my YZ's haven't had much attention since.

Couple of things I wanted to ask here.

1. I'm getting some front end wobble mostly at hwy speeds and mostly from bad air from other vehicles. It was doing it with both the stock tires and the new Dunlop 606's.It's not violent but enough to get my attention. I have an extra Scotts steering damper in a drawer in my garage. Just need to get the specific frame mount. I'm guessing this will fix it. Anyone else having this symptom?

2, What happens if you throw on an aftermarket exhaust without the EFI programmer?

2. What happens if you take all the crap out of the stock exhaust? Not the baffle but the emissions crap? Just the warning light or does the bike not run?

I've been riding the bike stock except for the air box door has been removed. Also pro tapers and bark busters and the 606's. I like the bike for what it is and how quiet it is, but it would be nice to gain a few ponies too.

I'm sure there are dozens of threads clos to this topic but thought I'd start a new one.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I love this bike and been ridding the wheels off it. Did about 3000 miles in 6 weeks and my YZ's haven't had much attention since.

1. I'm getting some front end wobble mostly at hwy speeds and mostly from bad air from other vehicles. It was doing it with both the stock tires and the new Dunlop 606's.It's not violent but enough to get my attention. I have an extra Scotts steering damper in a drawer in my garage. Just need to get the specific frame mount. I'm guessing this will fix it. Anyone else having this symptom?

Wobble is not normal.  You can expect to be pushed around by wind on a tall 300 pound machine, but if the front is wobbling then you have an issue.  Are you the original owner?  If not, the PO may have messed up the geometry of the bike.  Either lowering the rear or raising the front will make the geometry more stable.  Just remember . . . small increments.

2, What happens if you throw on an aftermarket exhaust without the EFI programmer?

You take the risk of running lean.  I see below that you are running with the air box door removed, so I would use an EFI programmer not just to protect your engine, but to realize the power potential of introducing more air to the system by adding fuel also.

2. What happens if you take all the crap out of the stock exhaust? Not the baffle but the emissions crap? Just the warning light or does the bike not run?

Remove the AIS and you will throw a code, but the bike will still run.

I've been riding the bike stock except for the air box door has been removed. Also pro tapers and bark busters and the 606's. I like the bike for what it is and how quiet it is, but it would be nice to gain a few ponies too.

I'm sure there are dozens of threads clos to this topic but thought I'd start a new one.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

For the front end wobble, check your front tire air pressure.  If it is too low it can cause the front end to "pulsate" and scalloping of the tread over time.  If you have any unusual wear on the front tire, and a high speed wobble try upping your air pressure and see if that helps to smooth it out.

Wobble is not normal.  You can expect to be pushed around by wind on a tall 300 pound machine, but if the front is wobbling then you have an issue.  Are you the original owner?  If not, the PO may have messed up the geometry of the bike.  Either lowering the rear or raising the front will make the geometry more stable.  Just remember . . . small increments.

You take the risk of running lean.  I see below that you are running with the air box door removed, so I would use an EFI programmer not just to protect your engine, but to realize the power potential of introducing more air to the system by adding fuel also.

Remove the AIS and you will throw a code, but the bike will still run.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Removal of the AIS will NOT throw a code.  Removal the EXUP will.

• Like 1

Removal of the AIS will NOT throw a code.  Removal the EXUP will.

You are correct.  I knew what I meant and it was not what I typed.  LOL

I have the front wobble above 70 mph since lowering the front and rear and installing Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front.

The funny thing is, one day I left the tire pressure at 9 psi and rode a couple hours on the express way with NO wobble up to 85mph.

The bad news is it scalloped and wore out the front tire.

Now I run 25 psi and just stay below 70 with scorpion pros front and rear.

I have the power core 4 and power bomb in my 10 wr250r should I get the fmf power programmer or it doesn't really matter.

It does matter.

Throttle response is much better.

I've tried it both ways back-to-back.

I don't know whether or not it would be lean enough to hurt the engine, and I know there are riders who do exactly that without trouble.

So, to me, that's not the issue.

It's that the bike runs better.

Thanks for all the info. I threw some fresh tires on and solved the issue on the woble. MT 23.

Just got some new parts and a little stumped again.

1. FMF Power Programmer- I found where to connect the ground on the battery and the largest plug, but there is a smaller plug that I cant figure out where it goes. Directions are vague.

2. I bought a 12 O'clock ExUP Emulator And can't figure out where it goes. Directions are vague.

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm an MX guy gone dualsport. And 2-stroke guy gone dual sport. Still own the 125 and 250 smokers, FYI. 2006's.

Thanks in advance!!!

For the FMF Power Programmer:

You are putting the unit in series with the bike's original wiring, plus hooking a connector to the negative battery terminal.

You unplug the original electrical connector from the throttle body.

That leaves two places to plug something into:

The connector in your hand, and the connector on the throttle body.

For the EXUP eliminator:

The EXUP servo motor is what you're getting rid of when you use this.

The servo motor is located directly beneath the battery, on the left-hand side of the bike.

You remove the servo motor and the control cables that connect to the EXUP valve in the exhaust pipe.

The EXUP eliminator simply plugs into the electrical connector where the servo motor once did.

For the FMF Power Programmer:

You are putting the unit in series with the bike's original wiring, plus hooking a connector to the negative battery terminal.

You unplug the original electrical connector from the throttle body.

That leaves two places to plug something into:

The connector in your hand, and the connector on the throttle body.

For the EXUP eliminator:

The EXUP servo motor is what you're getting rid of when you use this.

The servo motor is located directly beneath the battery, on the left-hand side of the bike.

You remove the servo motor and the control cables that connect to the EXUP valve in the exhaust pipe.

The EXUP eliminator simply plugs into the electrical connector where the servo motor once did.

Thanks! Mission accomplished and all buttoned up. Experimenting with settings for high altitude and searching TT. 

Thanks! Mission accomplished and all buttoned up. Experimenting with settings for high altitude and searching TT.

Research the C1 settings as well. Ever notice a real flat spot right when you are trying to accelerate from a stop? The C1 setting allows you to adjust the onboard fueling for the first 1/8 throttle. Works in conjunction with the FMF PP and the power commander. Very simply to do, google search "wr250r tach" or "wr250r C1 settings" Edited by EvanNaculum