Sign in to follow this  

Need a little help.

OK Guys,

I bought a 2006 DRZ-400SM with 22,000 last fall.  It had a bundle of problems, but I was confident I could figure it out. The first problem I tackled was the butchered wiring harness.  There was a direct short wired into it and the rear brake light switch was hot wired directly to the battery.  After that, it was running rich, but it started and ran.  I suspected that the re-jet of the carb was also botched.  This spring, before I could get everything together to rebuild the carb, it died in the drive as I pulled in one day and hasn't ran since.

I have now cleaned the carb repeatedly and properly rebuilt and re-jetted the carb.  It is still sick.  When I try to start it, it starts and runs for a few seconds and dies.  Over and over, it runs for 3-5 seconds then dies.  I checked that it is getting fuel from the tank and the float is set right, etc. etc.  I am stumped.  Can anyone give me a suggestion on where to look next?

Thanks in advance.  I have learned a lot just lurking and reading old posts.

Welll, the hard part is figuring out if you have an electrical problem or a fuel problem. If it is fuel, it sounds like it is simply running out of gas. Verify the bowl vent is open.  Try a squirt gun with gas in the intake to keep it running