kick start lever slipped

Not sure which forum to post in...Feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place...

2005 Suzuki RM Z450, bone stock.

I have noticed that ever so often, when kicking the lever to start the bike, the lever seems to slip. It doesn't do this every time, maybe one time out of every twenty or thirty kicks.

It feels as if it slips a cog or something, it will then catch, and I can continue to kick with no problems.

I try to always get the lever to the top of the stroke before kicking. I don't stomp on the lever, just kick it.

Usually takes about two kick to start when warm, three to five when cold.

I have the bike serviced regularly, valves are in spec, and have never been out. I change the oil and clean the air filter very regularly. Air filter is cleaned every three hours, oil and filter as well.

I have the valves and timing chain checked at the shop, but I do about everything else.

This slipping issue hasn't caused any problems, and the bike still starts and runs like a top. Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks in advance.

Not normal... I have had the same issue on a few of my Yz's in the past.

On my Yz's it was due to a worn return spring but you can usually find the whole ratchet assembly online for the same price or less.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2014 at 5:40 PM, BDubb106 said:

Not normal... I have had the same issue on a few of my Yz's in the past.

On my Yz's it was due to a worn return spring but you can usually find the whole ratchet assembly online for the same price or less.

Yeah, I'll vouch for that.  When I rebuilt my 08 CRF450R I noticed the spring alignment marks were advanced to about 2 oclock.  I thought it was odd so I realigned the marks which loosened the spring and now it does that occasionally if I'm not careful.  Eventually I'll fix it but for now before I start, I just tap the lever a few times at TDC to make sure it seats first.   I just don't know if it was the factory that purposely advanced the alignment or the previous owner did it.