Sign in to follow this  

AFTERMARKET FUEL PUMPS?

The fuel pump on my 2008 WR250R died on my today.  I was about to order a replacement through Yamaha, but then I thought I would check here to see if anyone has had any experience with aftermarket fuel pumps for the fuel injected WR250 family.

I honestly don't know if there are any aftermarket options, but if there are, I bet someone here has used one and can comment on their experiences.  Obviously I want one that will last at least six years are 25,000 miles like my OEM pump did, but if the price is the same as OEM, I will go through Yamaha.

Anyone with real world experience on replacement fuel pumps?

Well, I could not find any aftermarket fuel pumps for the WR250R/X bikes, so I ended up buying a new Yamaha pump.  I lucked out and found a new, open package, fuel pump on eBay for $110 shipped.  Sure as heck beat the $250+ prices I was finding all over the place for one still in the box.

I am just blown away that with all the aftermarket parts out there for our bikes that no one is making a replacement fuel pump yet.  It seems that someone could make a decent profit by providing a quick turn around  rebuilt fuel pump service.  But maybe not.  I have over 26,000 miles and six plus years on mine and it finally went south.  Maybe these things are just too well built?

So, back on the road with wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth...

There are replacement pumps all over the place on eBay, but I couldn't find the tech specs for the OEM pump and didn't want to risk leaks and other problems with replacing just the pump. 

I couldn't locate any sources for aftermarket fuel pump assemblies.  You may get lucky and stumble across an open box like I did.

I just bought the pump only from an ebay seller called "highflowfuel" for $55.00. The pump is German made and backed with a lifetime warranty. He lists them at 59.99 or offer. Hopefully the install will go smoothly when it arrives.

Edited by CaptTurbo

The install is complete and I have to say that it was tricky to seperate the two halves of the plastic housing that contains the pump in it's cage. It is doable though so if it works I will have saved some money. My battery is shot so I can't test fire the bike until the new one arrives from Chrome Battery. 

Did you take any pics of the process of replacing the actual pump motor?  That would make a nice write-up and I know that other riders would like how you did it.

It's actually so simple an Obama supporter could probably do it. The only challenge is in separating the halves of the plastic cage that contains the little cylindrical fuel pump. If I have to do it again I will shave down the tabs that lock the pieces together for a more trail friendly procedure. I also purchased a new old stock complete fuel pump from ebay at the same time to cover my bets in case the pump only option didn't work. So, it was good to take it apart and replace the pump the way I did because now I know how it all works and I have a complete pump in my spare parts bin.