Sign in to follow this  

2000 xr100 chain problems

I recently put a new counter sprocket and chain on my xr100 and since then the following problems are happening:

1. When the back tire is rolling forward every time the counter sprocket makes a full revolution it makes this knocking/popping sound. It doesn't happen when I roll the tire backwards.

2. When my bike is on the stand and I start it and put it in first gear the chain doesn't roll consistently it kind of jerks forward.

I thought maybe the rear wheel wasn't aligned right. Any help would be awesome I'm trying to sell the bike soon.

Sounds like a new chain on a worn rear sprocket problem......................? :thinking: The new chain doesn't match up correctly to the worn rear sprocket and climbs the teeth.  Worse forward than back due to the hook worn into one side (drive side) of the rear sprocket teeth.

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al
  • Like 1

That makes sense because I kept my old rear sprocket on with the new chain. Do I just need a new sprocket? Is keeping the old sprocket on going to do any damage? Thanks a ton

That makes sense because I kept my old rear sprocket on with the new chain. Do I just need a new sprocket? Is keeping the old sprocket on going to do any damage? Thanks a ton

Yes, you need a new rear sprocket..................the chain needs to run smooth and quite.

Old School Al

Little late for an update but I just put a new sprocket on and it's doing the same thing... Anybody have any suggestions? Someone told me to lube the rear axle which I haven't done maybe that's it? Idk any more haha

Pictures may help.

How much did you ride the bike after replacing just the front sprocket?

Did you replace the chain too? It's usually a good idea to replace them as a set, chain, front and rear sprocket as they each wear into the other. So when you replace a worn sprocket and put it on a worn chain, things are slightly out of alignment.

I've ridden on pavement for a few hours with the current setup. I replaced the chain and front sprocket at the same time but left the old rear sprocket and when people suggested putting on a new rear sprocket so that's what I did. if you guys want specific pictures let me know and I'll take some. Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do you have the spacer that goes between the bearings in the rear wheel?  A real chain guide would probably help too. 

Measuring from above the swing arm around an inch measuring from below maybe 1/4in, not very much. And socalxr do you mean the ring the goes between the left bearing and the swing arm?

Make absolutely sure the wheel is straight. The photos look ok, but in this case, remove all the tension from the adjusters till the wheel is all the way forward. Then meticulously going 1 turn on each side at a time, move the adjusters to the correct chain slack.

A few hours is more than enough time for an old chain to wear out a new sprocket or vice versa. Let's hope that's not the case.