Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota Cleaning Minnesota red iron range mud off bike

Just checking what others are using to wash that red dirt of your bikes and atv's.

I usually spray my bike down with simple green and then spray with hose and that normally works good.  But, that red dirt from up north is a bugger to get off.  It is almost like a red stain.  

Any tips on getting that stuff off the bike?

Jim

Just checking what others are using to wash that red dirt of your bikes and atv's.

I usually spray my bike down with simple green and then spray with hose and that normally works good.  But, that red dirt from up north is a bugger to get off.  It is almost like a red stain.  

Any tips on getting that stuff off the bike?

Jim

My Dad worked in the mines up there and my Mom would use "Iron Out" on his work clothes, maybe that will work.

Or maybe buy a KTM since they are orange already! LOL

Edited by Treesmacker
  • Like 1

Ha, yeah its tough to get off. I've pretty much given up trying. My bike is permanently red.

Not a fan of using Simple Green on metal surfaces, especially aluminum.  If you miss rinsing any spots it can cause issues long term.  More info on their site if you want some reading material.

Probably not going to suggest anything you don't already know.  The sooner you clean it off, the easier it is.  If you're especially anal, wax your plastics with any standard carnauba or synthetic wax which will protect it and make the muck clean off easier with less staining.  You can use metal polishes for the same effect.  I've used strong solvents like brake cleaner in moderation on the white plastics of my old WR and that stripped most of the staining off quickly.  

Or just ride 10+yo bikes and not give a shit.  

I like the "buy an orange bike" advice and wish I could but probably not this year.

I never knew about simple green and aluminum, I will keep that in mind.     I think maybe some of the red dirt was from Nemadji, is that possible?