Sign in to follow this  

Playing with db meter MRD SSW and possible jetting problems.

I received my MRD SSW exhaust today that I have been wanting for a long time.  I'm trying to decide if I had unrealistic expectations or if something with my jetting is wrong.  My bike is an 05 400e with 3x3, slant FCR with Eddie mod, and I previously had just a Yoshi RS3 slip on.  I was happy with this but saw people raving about the SSW so I found a used one and purchased it.  My jetting is 160 main, EMN on clip 3, 45 pilot, screw is 2 turns out, and linked ports on pilot air jets.  It ran perfect with e header and RS3 open and with the quiet core when on trails.  I rode it today before switching exhausts so I could really feel the difference between exhausts when UPS showed up.  So finally installed MRD an hour later when it came and went for a ride and just didn't seem to run right.  It would barely power wheelie in second where it would easily before.  Thought maybe it was lean so went and put the sparky and quiet core in thinking that would help but it then would not wheelie in second at all.  The top end felt great pulling hard with the MRD in both ways but the torque difference made me want my old exhaust back.  I ride a lot of trails so maybe the SSW wasn't a good idea but figured it wouldn't be to bad.

I did play with my db meter quite a bit today trying to get some data on noise.  I did the readings at 20" at a 45 degree angle from the tip.  I taped the meter on a camera tripod so it was always in the same place.  I don't have a tach, so I made a mark at approximately 1/4-1/3 throttle so they would all be taken at the same rpm.

05 DRZ400E, 3x3, FCR

E Header with open Yoshimura RS3 slip on.

Idle        90db

Throttle 100db

E Header with RS3 slip on and quiet core.

Idle        85db

Throttle 96db

MRD SSW Open

Idle        98db

Throttle 107db

MRD SSW with quiet core and spark arrestor.

Idle        92db

Throttle 101db

• Like 2

That's interesting, I was thinking about getting a MRD SSW down the road because I hate how my RS-2 falls flat on the top end, but the torque is nice. Probly help if I had a FCR

Lol 107db at 1/4 throttle :lol:

Second gear wheelies should be no problem, but not really a fair comparison

Definitely does move power farther up the rev range though

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I forgot to say that the meter says the corked mrd is louder bit toy ear the open uoshi sounds louder to me. An old coworker has a tach I am going to wire up and do it again at a certain rpm. Need to find what rpm they use for sound checks. I will also add the FMF powercore slip on as well.

Still looking for betting help if anyone has any ideas.

Try taking the air box door off and see if it runs any better.

I'm curious what the MRD would read at wide open throttle and high RPMs

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

Jetting is good....

Remember guys....the SSW/MRD (Z-Pro) is basically a Race pipe ,developed to support maximum HP for fully modified DRZ engine...

It's just the deal with the pipe,,,,,on the stock engine  it gives you more at the top but lose a little off the bottom and lower mid...

You don't have to lose much torque to really notice it,

Set ups that are non stroker and/ or Off road ridden would be better suited with the standard pro comp MRD...

IMO....The OP's E head pipe and open slip would be as good as anything for off road...

Edited by Craig-o

Lol 107db at 1/4 throttle :lol:

Second gear wheelies should be no problem, but not really a fair comparison

Definitely does move power farther up the rev range though

I'm still working on my jetting/ tuning but boy does it go on the top end . I've got stage. 2 cams and the 5 k and up rpms really pull great right to the limiter . I had never hit the limiter until I put the MRD on. Now from 7k to 10 k takes about a second .

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

• Like 1