Sign in to follow this  

1987 DR200

Hello, I have a 1987 Suzuki sp125. I heard they are similar to the Dr 125. If they are could someone please help me with the cam chain tensioner? I'm not sure if I have to be at top dead center or if bike needs to be running. Need help must ride!! Haha my old triumph kicks the crap out of kidneys. This little sp125 has way better suspension. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello, I have a 1987 Suzuki sp125. I heard they are similar to the Dr 125. If they are could someone please help me with the cam chain tensioner? I'm not sure if I have to be at top dead center or if bike needs to be running. Need help must ride!! Haha my old triumph kicks the crap out of kidneys. This little sp125 has way better suspension. Any help would be much appreciated.

If it's the same as the DR (I don' know for sure as we never got the SP in the UK as far as I know)  then it's dead easy to do.  on the side of the tensioner theres a screw with a slot in the top, with a lock nut round it too.  Slacken the lock nut, slacken the screw a little and you should hear the tensioner move a little once the screw's released enough for the spring to push it out some more.  Then retighten the screw and nip up the locknut.  I've always ddone it with the engine not running and with the piston wherever on the stroke.  My DR's about the same age as your SP, so should be similar if not the same, but reckon someone else will be along soon to confirm.