Sign in to follow this  

new to me 250 XCF-W jetting question for 9,500-13,000 ft

Getting ready for first trip with the new (to me) 250 XCF-W  and I have a jetting question. It is supposed to be stock. I pulled the jets and have a 45 pilot and 168 main. Think that means the pilot is not stock ? Not sure what needle is in it but I would guess stock since the 168 is the stock main I believe.  Clip is in the third slot from the top.

Anyway, going to Colorado, staying at about 9,500 ft and riding up to about 13,500. From posts on here, I am thinking a 162 main but where should the clip be on the needle ? 2 grooves from the top ?

thoughts ?

Move the clip to the 4th slot and run 168 main with 40 pilot, that would be stock jetting

Move the clip to the 4th slot and run 168 main with 40 pilot, that would be stock jetting

Thanks.  That will help for getting back to stock.   What I am really looking for right now is a recommendation for riding at 9,500 to 13,000 feet.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but the higher altitude means that air is less dense, reqiring less fuel to achieve the optimal air/fuel mixture. So my guess would be that the stock jetting would be sufficent.

stock jetting will be too rich.  You can do that on a 450 or bigger but not on the smaller ones.  You need to reduce the amount of fuel going in to compensate for the thinner air.  I am trying to see if anyone knows how much.