Sign in to follow this  

My fuel petcock doesnt have an off?

The Pri setting allows fuel to free flow into the carb. It's normally only used when you've run the bike dry and need to get some fuel into the carb to start it.You won't have any fuel leak out while running it in the prime position, unless the float is screwed up or you lay the bike down. It's when the bike is off and the petcock is in prime that you have the potential for leakage.

It has on, reserve, then "PRI" so should it just always be left to on unless I need to use my res.? Also what is pri? Is it prime? Its a drz400 sm

same as on every other streetbike. owners manual.

Should be 3 positions on the valve. PRI = fuel on to carb, ON = valve shut to flow, & RES = lower reserve part of tank flow to carb. Im used tothe old school ....OFF/ON/RES....this politically correct crap is chit for the birds.

Identical system on the DR650. Leave it in the "ON" position when the bike is not running unless you need to temporarily use the "PRI" function. Fuel cannot flow in the "ON" position unless the bike is running. But above all, get yourself an owner's manual.