Sign in to follow this  

2001 YZ426 Free / Static Sag

I'm puzzled. I weight 190 lb, novice class rider. Per Race Tech spring rate calculator, I should run stock rear spring 5.4 kg When I set Static sag to 4" , the free sag is about 5/8 ". Free sag should be about 1" .

Why ?

I think I had a 5.8 kg spring with better / closer reading. I thought the rear of the bike was riding high with the 5.8 kg spring, the are actually 3/16" longer (EIbach spring).

Trying to get this suspension right. The guys in my riding circle all send their bikes to suspension guys and i think this makes all the difference. I ride desert, woods and single track.

Thanks

That does sound a little low for static

Sadly, this is a common problem. Springs are not always as stiff as they are rated. Age and use can weaken them; but, often they aren't what they're supposed to be out of the box. Stockers are not excluded. I guess that the manufacturers feel as though they're "close enough"

Wish I had an easy answer for you but the truth is that I have a nice little pile of springs that aren't what they're supposed to be.

You may be able to find a suspension shop to test what you have. They may even trade you (with a few bucks extra) for what you need. Just a thought.

I would think that a properly rated 5.4/5.5 should work for you.

Edited by James I

Something else, I believe that RT's spring calculator is meant to have the rider sitting forward on the seat. Meaning if you were to take your feet off the pegs your legs would be dangling in front of the pegs. If you are sitting further back than that you will need a stiffer rate.

What go you guys think, I didn't know what they meant by" balance the suspension, back with front". It just dawned on me, do we want to keep or ratios equivalent. Ie stock fork rebound 2 clicks faster than rear shock. If I start adjusting rear rebounds, should I change fork rebound the same difference (approximately).

Along the same line of thought, if a new tire is higher, Abbott 3/8 inch taller. Do I adjust the sag 3/8 to keep the rear balanced with the front..height?

You are overthinking this stuff - let the bike tell you these things by the way it's handling.  Pull back your focus a little - you're inside the margin of error worrying about 0.1 on the spring rate and knobby wear.

Edited by dkbl5
  • Like 1

The springs are stock. Has about 2" of race sag. I was concerned cause I'm getting different data about how much sag there should be. Some say 2" for this bike. In general about 30% of travel. That would be more like 3.5".

If 3.5" and I'm the right weight for the springs, why an I getting so little race sag?

Sorry yes forks around 55 to 65mm