Sign in to follow this  

Riding In Tilled or Loose Dirt

Alright guys. I have kind of an ignoant question as you can tell by the title. I can keep up with B class riders on hard packed dirt, but I can't keep up with a beginner in loose dirt. I know the faster you go the more traction you get, but it seems so sketchy to go my normal pace in dirt that feels like it has no traction. Any tips? I plan on starting racing again soon and have a feeling there will be lots of tracks with loose dirt.

See and I'm the complete opposite. I feel that on hard packed I'm spinning all over and locking up my wheels when braking. Seems like I have way more control on something that is tilled and allows the tires to bite.

See and I'm the complete opposite. I feel that on hard packed I'm spinning all over and locking up my wheels when braking. Seems like I have way more control on something that is tilled and allows the tires to bite.

I've been riding hard packed tracks my whole life. I can ride a tilled track as long as it has a decent amount of moisture, but most of the filled tracks around here they don't even water. If you were to pick up the dirt it would just crumple into dust. Maybe that's my problem.

Try differ seating positions...some ppl run higher tire pressures...others increase rebound and compression to get the bike to ride on top of the loose soil more... the tracks i ride on in michigan have like 5-6 differ soil types on one track...i change my seat position to match the soil and i rarely use the rear brake...

Try differ seating positions...some ppl run higher tire pressures...others increase rebound and compression to get the bike to ride on top of the loose soil more... the tracks i ride on in michigan have like 5-6 differ soil types on one track...i change my seat position to match the soil and i rarely use the rear brake...

I've tried different seat positions and it hasn't helped. I may try to change the tire pressure and see if that does anything. Either that or just haul ass and try not to worry as much about going down.

Im no expert but I seem to have good luck with sitting back a little bit, not much, and keeping the front light and gas it hard and let the back tire dig. I try to keep a light grip on the bars and just steer with a little lean. Its a pretty cool feeling.

• Like 1

Alright guys. I have kind of an ignoant question as you can tell by the title. I can keep up with B class riders on hard packed dirt, but I can't keep up with a beginner in loose dirt. I know the faster you go the more traction you get, but it seems so sketchy to go my normal pace in dirt that feels like it has no traction. Any tips? I plan on starting racing again soon and have a feeling there will be lots of tracks with loose dirt.

Try to lower your air in your tires esp on the front.This will help you float over the dirt better.When turning lean forward point your tire in the direction you want to go & open the throttle & let the back tire spin some.

• Like 1

I like to stay forward on the seat, have the rear end spinning, steer with leaning and the rear wheel and use the bars/front wheel to maintain balance and control. This requires braking early and accelerating through the corner

• Like 2

Ass almost on the rear fender pulling on the bars keeping front end light wide open.