Sign in to follow this  

Fuel in 2011 250sx Tanny Oil

I drained the oil on my 250sx to prepare it to change the primary clutch gasket because it was leaking. I found that the oil was very silver/grey in color and had millions of shiny things in there. The Oil also smelt like fuel, so I am asuming that there is fuel in the tranny and therefore it is also in the oil. What should i do? The oil has been in there for about 20 hours. How do i fix this, and has it done any damage.

Why on earth would you leave oil in your bike for 20 hours? Do you hate that poor bike?

I change my oil every time I ride it. That is usually about an hour and a half, sometimes as little as two motos and a three lap practice. My clutches last for several years. I still have the stock clutch in both my 2011 250sx and my 2006 250sx. I ride mostly at a sand track and flog my clutch in every corner just to get my 220lbs up on top of the sand.

The bikes only hold 700cc of oil. That small amount of oil gets dirty really fast and it only costs about $3 per oil change so why be so hateful to your poor bike? Go get some Rotella T 15w40 for $12 a gallon and change your oil. You will get 5 oil changes per bottle.

Oil is cheap, clutches are not! I would rather spend my time riding, not changing clutches and fixing leaking clutch cover gaskets.

Okay, I don't think my coolant is going down, but I will check later. I could be alloy clutch plates but I don't know if my bike has alloy plates. I do slip the clutch ALOT, so it may well be the clutch. I read that it it was coolant than the oil would look foamy/creamy and bubble. It is just Grey/sliver but it does bubble a little. A few rides ago I did ride it through some very deep water crossings on the oil that it has in it now. This is the first time I have drained the oil and it has been silver, and no the bike is not new, but it is good condition.

An by the way larry, I will make a effort to change to oil more reguarly but here in Australia, one oil change is about $14 dollars not $3.

Why on earth would you leave oil in your bike for 20 hours? Do you hate that poor bike?

I change my oil every time I ride it. That is usually about an hour and a half, sometimes as little as two motos and a three lap practice. My clutches last for several years. I still have the stock clutch in both my 2011 250sx and my 2006 250sx. I ride mostly at a sand track and flog my clutch in every corner just to get my 220lbs up on top of the sand.

The bikes only hold 700cc of oil. That small amount of oil gets dirty really fast and it only costs about $3 per oil change so why be so hateful to your poor bike? Go get some Rotella T 15w40 for $12 a gallon and change your oil. You will get 5 oil changes per bottle.

Oil is cheap, clutches are not! I would rather spend my time riding, not changing clutches and fixing leaking clutch cover gaskets.

Ever read the service manual and what it calls for with oil drain times? I'm on the stock clutch with my 01 200 and I too flog the crap out of the clutch, these things are TOUGH. 

Ever read the service manual and what it calls for with oil drain times? I'm on the stock clutch with my 01 200 and I too flog the crap out of the clutch, these things are TOUGH. 

I raced on the stock clutch and top end for over 14 years on my 1987 250mx. From 1986 until 2001. Changing the oil only costs $3. New clutch plates cost $231.43 + tax and a new gasket. Oil is cheap, clutches are not. So why wouldn't you change your oil?

No one ever blew up a motor by changing the oil often.

I run a fresh air filter after every ride as well. I even take a clean filter, freshly oiled and with a basket in it, sealed in a zip-lock, with me so I can change air filters between motos. I have stock top ends last me for years as well. After 9 years, my 2006 250sx has 200psi and it still has the stock top end and clutch in it. My 2011 250sx still has the stock top end and clutch in it as does my 2011 150sx.

I don't care how well you take care of your bike but I take really good care of mine. They last for ever and when I do want to sell one I never have to put an add on craigslist. I have people asking me all the time to call them as soon as I want to sell one. When I sold my sons last 85sx  a friend of mine drove 176 miles from his house in Nevada to my house in California to buy it. I told him what I wanted for it and he said, "OK, I will be there tomorrow to get it."  I must be doing something right.