Sign in to follow this  

KTM 250XCF STARTS BUT THEN DIES AFTER 7 SECONDS!

Hello Guys,

Was hoping someone could possible help me out here.

I bought a 2011 250 XCF last night for my son but am having an issue with getting the bike to run (got the bike cheap because of this fault).   The bike will fire up no problem and run ok for around 7-10 seconds then shut down.   It does this every time, starts then dies, starts then dies. (No FI warning light)

This is my first FI bike so I am trying to figure this out.  I have put in new fuel, checked the small inline filter at the injector and the fuel pump.   All seem ok.   Does anyone have any Ideas?

The guy who I got it from said everything was ok until he replaced the throttle cable which he broke in a fall.

Looks like a dealer visit may be in order.

check the connector of the condensator (capacitor) . the black round thing thats under the throttle body .

Wouldnt a tip over sensor throw a FI light? My old 450sxf ran similarly. My tps had water in the plug socket. He possibly moved the tps by accident to. I cleaned all the connectors with electrical.contact cleaner and packed all the plugs with dielctric grease. Never had a issue after.

Wouldnt a tip over sensor throw a FI light? My old 450sxf ran similarly. My tps had water in the plug socket. He possibly moved the tps by accident to. I cleaned all the connectors with electrical.contact cleaner and packed all the plugs with dielctric grease. Never had a issue after.

I don't see how it would throw a code. When your bike tips over for 8secs after a crash, does it throw a code? Mine doesn't...

Edited by Monk

Monk - You my friend are a Genius!!!!    I had checked everything else on the bike other than that tip over sensor.   Infact it took me a while to find the thing hidden under the CDI box.   Give it a tap and the bike bike runs sweet as a nut now!! :ride:

Ordered a new tip over sensor today.

Where do I send the $20  :thumbsup:

Hey guys I am having the same kind of problem bike will crank and run but will not idle for a long period of time. I have a 2011 KTM 250XCF.

I located the tip sensor if you shake it you can hear it moving inside. I am new to these bikes. Is this a common problem with the Ktm's.  ? I read somewhere that if you take it off and just clean it that will help. I also checked to make sure it is mounted right side up. Will the bike run without it ? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance.....

Bike will run for awhile without the tip over sensor then the FI light will start flashing. Current has to be running through that sensor or it will throw a code. It must be a jumpered somehow if it is removed.