Sign in to follow this  

2011 kx250f died while full throttle

Hit full throttle for a couple seconds and then my bike died out and came to a skidding stop. I tried to restart it but it wouldn't start and wasn't making the usual trying to turn over sound. I then tried to kick it over a few more times and managed to get it to start but it sounded kinda rough and stalled again.

Does this probably mean I blew my top end? Should I check compression or would that risk causing more internal damage?

What would be the easiest way to open it up and check things out? Do I have to take the gas tank off so I could get at the top of the motor?

Is there any way the motor is still good and maybe it was just a tps sensor or something?

Hit full throttle for a couple seconds and then my bike died out and came to a skidding stop. I tried to restart it but it wouldn't start and wasn't making the usual trying to turn over sound. I then tried to kick it over a few more times and managed to get it to start but it sounded kinda rough and stalled again.

Does this probably mean I blew my top end? Should I check compression or would that risk causing more internal damage?

You got it started again?  It could be so many things.  Is there gas in the tank? Just kidding . . . sort of.  Otherwise, start from the top down.  Pull the tank.  Easy.  Pull the spark plug out.  Easy.  Pull the valve cover off.  Easy.  Check timing.  Easy.  Next step is to check compression, which requires a tool, so not so easy, unless you have the tool.  No, checking compression isn't going to cause any more damage than has already been done.  I just wonder why it came to a skidding stop . . . and glad you are okay.  Let us know what happens after you did all that.  

it might just be the timing chain that jumped a few teeth so it will sound rough if its started. 

Do as per Dragon ,remove tank and cam cover and check the timing before starting it again. 

Ok thanks guys I will go ahead and remove the tank and the spark plug and cam cover. How would I check the timing though?

Would jumping teeth on the timing chain cause the engine to stall though? Because I was going full throttle for two seconds and the bike just shut off. It was fine before this happened...

a workshop manual for your bike will walk you through checking to see if the timing lines up,it's pretty easy to remove cam cover and then find top dead centre(the manual will show you how to get this too) there will be timing marks on the cam sprockets that will need to line up with the cylinder head,should look similar to this,bear in mind this from my manual and is for the klx450 and not your bike..

photo31_zpsf4435c0b.jpg

the marks E & D that you can see need to be lined up with the top of the cylinder head

If you don't have a manual then you shouldn't really attempt doing it,I would advise trying to find someone that has experience to help you with this,just getting it apart is only the first step,you also need to be able to diagnose what has gone wrong,there could be more than one thing wrong-experienced people will know what to look for as when things break or go wrong then it leads to other stuff failing,maybe someone from the forums who is close to you will offer to come help,

a workshop manual for your bike will walk you through checking to see if the timing lines up,it's pretty easy to remove cam cover and then find top dead centre(the manual will show you how to get this too) there will be timing marks on the cam sprockets that will need to line up with the cylinder head,should look similar to this,bear in mind this from my manual and is for the klx450 and not your bike..

photo31_zpsf4435c0b.jpg

the marks E & D that you can see need to be lined up with the top of the cylinder head

If you don't have a manual then you shouldn't really attempt doing it,I would advise trying to find someone that has experience to help you with this,just getting it apart is only the first step,you also need to be able to diagnose what has gone wrong,there could be more than one thing wrong-experienced people will know what to look for as when things break or go wrong then it leads to other stuff failing,maybe someone from the forums who is close to you will offer to come help,

Does this look normal to you guys? It's a little chunk next to the valve that looks missing.

image_zpsb5a119bb.jpg