Sign in to follow this  

Bike won't start after ride and now hydrolocked

2001 DRZ400S with 9600 miles - I went on an 80 mile ride in the mountains.  The bike ran great.  Stopped a mile from home to fill up.  Bike started easy.  Parked the bike for about an hour before putting in garage.  We I tried to start it to put it in the garage, it would turn over fine but would not start.  I ran the battery down trying to start it.  Charged it overnight and tried this morning and it won't turn over.  Also there is a strong smell of gasoline.  I think it is hydrolocked.  What is wrong that causes this?  I replace the petcock about 6 months ago but it was an Ebay piece of junk.  Shouldn't the float in the carb stop gas flow?  Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Don't trust the float valve needle to be an off switch for the fuel. Just a speck of dirt or hardend misshapened float needle can cause fuel to flow by. Pull the fuel line off your petcock and see if it leaks. Turn off your fuel when you stop if you have a Raptor style petcock. If you do have a Raptor style petcock and you don't turn it off you are feeling the results. The little rubber needle and the o-ring in the float needle valve assembly can be cracked or bad and will let fuel seep by.

Now change your oil. Run it. Drain and put in more new oil to be sure fuel is not contaminated or thinned out. Check float needle assembly. An '01 that has not been serviced will most likely need a replacement set.

• Like 2

If you still have your vacuum petcock take out the 4 screws on the back side.  Changing the 4mm ID x 2mm thick  (8mm OD) o ring on the plunger will probably have it working :thumbsup::ride:

• Like 1

Needle & seat will wear out even though not visual to the eye.  Moose Racing sells an entire rebuild kit for $40-$50, OEM needle & seat is $60 alone.  :thinking::eek:  Then buy a 'E' fuel valve (petcock).....it's worth $70.  :ride:  I forgot to mention.....Pull your spark plug out & crank your engine over to blow the gasoline out.  Change the oil, go for a short ride, then change it again.  :)  Yup.....been there, done that !  :banghead:

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 2

Thanks for the help. I ordered the Moose Carb rebuild kit and Raptor petcock. I will be back riding soon.

• Like 1