Sign in to follow this  

Carb adjustment after slip on muffler?

Hi guys!

I wanted to ask for your advice regarding tuning the carby. Since I had a the reverse cone muffler fitted, i'm experiencing some hesitation and splutter in the high rev range. Would you guys be able to steer me in the right direction of what I could do to tune it correctly? There is a lot of heavy air pressure coming out (is this called back pressure?) I would imagine there is more air flowing out so will i need to raise the needle in the carb? Does this indicate it is running too lean?

thanks!

10576993_813051412061287_7239258290427247501_n.jpg

Yes,you will need to richen your carb,you might need to get a larger main jet.Take a plug wrench w/you run it up through the gears & shut it off & pull the spark plug out & look @ it.

I tried post a link but it wouldn't allow it,so you need to do a search for spark plug reading & it will show the color the plug should be whens it correct.

You might want to post what bike you have & maybe someone can let you know what jet to start out with.

Thank you! I will do that. and sorry i forgot to mention my bike is a XT250 1984 (dual carb YDLS)

Was your problem resolved with the needle raise?

Hi thanks for your reply. I haven't taken apart the carb yet. I've just received a Sigma jet kit with a larger 135 main jet and shims to raise the needle. Will do this tonight and likely be able to test the bike on the weekends and report back

(I live in an apartment and neighbours don't take too kindly with my motorcycle when i finish late at work ahah)

• Like 1