Sign in to follow this  

New Bars How to?

I am 6' and when standing I have a hard time with the throttle on the stock bars or for that matter reaching the bars. How do you guys pick bars for the bike and which are the best. I hope this is not an oil type thread. If you go to fat bars does the throttle grip have to be changed?

thanks for the help

handensco

sorry 98xr400r with about 500 miles on it just bought it last fall

Edited by handensco

It is kinda like am oil thread. usually, websites will list the dimensions of each bar bend they sell. Your going to have to see what your bars measure now and get an idea of how much taller you want them etc. then go shop around. If you get fat bars, the throttle tube and all controls will fit just fine. It is the clamp area only that is a bigger diameter. But, you would need either adapters or a different upper triple clamp to mount them. I'm not as tall as you but I went with Moose Burleson bend bars (1 1/8") and a RSW top triple clamp with 1.5" tall bar mounts. That way I moved the bars forward more so than up.

You'll also need new handguard clamps too with the fat bar unless you already use fork mounts.   or don't use handguards of course.

BTW, they're also known as 'tapered' bars.  That's because they're fat in the middle (1 1/8"), and tapered (7/8") at the ends.  The taper happens before the top bend, so the area where all your grips/controls are is the same diameter regardless of bar type.

the cheapest alternative to finding your most comfortable position is bar risers. rockymountainatv/mc has cheapies for about $20 that are 15mm or 30mm. the RSW top clamp is very high quality, gets very good reviews. If you like your bar bend, start with risers before changing bars- unless you still have steel bars. In that case, buy quality aluminum bars (i.e renthal/protaper/etc)

I personally like the RC bend, less sweep gives me more of an "elbows out" stance. I stand 99% of the time. I also have a sub mount scott's damper so I gained 25mm in height on my WR. the XR's and CRF's that we have had all get around 25mm of bar riser and everyone likes the bar position.

I'm about 5 9

Renthal standard bars

First, realize there are about 20 named bars, but many are the same dimensions.

Renthal bars stand up to abuse. My Tusk bars bent in 2 slow tip overs.

RC

I have run the RC bend which is taller and less sweep. At first, it feels like a straight pipe. The more I rode, the better I like them. Great for stand up riding, elbows out. Aggressive.

CR Hi

Another common bar for the XR400. More sweep. Lower than RC. Good for sitting and dual sport. Climbing, I feel the bars are at my hips. Harder to pull up and ride standing. I miss the RC bend.

I have another set of RC bars waiting for the CR-hi bars to bend. I have a top mount Scotts, so I might need the scott bent crossbar.

The new RC High (not CR Hi) bend might be better for someone taller. Even taller than the RC bend.

Try rotating your bars forward a bit. That will reduce the sweep slightly and make them higher. Ride and see how you like it,

Edited by Kev_XR