Sign in to follow this  

700.00 to uncork

so - a full Yoshimura exhaust and JD jet kit is approximately 700 bucks.  For that kind of money I expect huge improvement in power and throttle response. - if anyone can cliam that over stock - let me know.

You will not gain much more power with just an exhausts and a jet kit.

Guess the jet kit will give most on a non modded engine.

$700 is pretty steep and is way more than what I paid.

Talk to your local store, they can probably get it for much cheaper.

I wouldn't say the exhaust gave it much more, probably 5-7km/h on the top end.

If you are hesitant on the price, just get the jet kit.

It improves the throttle response, engine note (sounds way better) and maybe a bit better fuel mileage.

• Like 2

I don't know where you are getting $700 figure from, the Yoshi RS2 can be had for just over $410 and the MRD/Z-Pro for $479, then the jet kit is about $70.

A pipe and a jet kit is not going to give you huge gains over stock. A pipe just allows you to take full advantage of a modified engine by letting it breathe, it will still give you an improvement to a stock engine (just not huge).

I think the best bang for your buck upgrade is going to be the FCR39-MX.

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 3

so - a full Yoshimura exhaust and JD jet kit is approximately 700 bucks. For that kind of money I expect huge improvement in power and throttle response. - if anyone can cliam that over stock - let me know.

Your desire is unrealistic

It's a single cylinder small bore older design motor designed with longevity in mind.

Mods to this platform are found in small

Bits of power and tq, that when done correctly add up to moderate gains.

You want "huge improvements " for your DRZ spend more in the right way with the right builder... But an exhaust and jet kit is just a small

Step

• Like 4

if its a money issue go for a used E exhaust & a good used fcr carb for best permance results on the cheap. I was skint after buying my bike & I decided on a used E ehaust with JD jet kit but in hindsight I wish I'd saved the money spent on the jet kit & waited a couple weeks till i had enough to get an fcr. I was ready for sellin the drz a few months ago & gettin a crf450 or similar then i bought an fcr after havin the drz a year just to see how much differnce it made & realised i should have done that in the 1st place, after that i found a new love for the dizzer & went mad on modding it to wot it is today & i'm more than happy with it now  :thumbsup:  :ride:

Edited by carlspeaky
  • Like 1

Not a money issue at all. Just went online ot Motosport.com and found the Yoshi full system header and muffler and a JD jet kit was near 700 bucks.  Full knowing what uncokring a bikes does - this is very expensive for very mild gains in performance is the point I was trying to make. You can leave it stock and probably have as much enjoyment from your bike, with 700.00 dollars still in your pocket. AND not having to do any wrenching at all.

I uncorked my 2005 XR650L and all it does is start and idle easier, and gas milage went down. Where as I uncorked my 2004 XR250R and it became a beast as compared to stock.

If I thought for a minute the DRZ would  react as well as the lil XR did - I would mod it. I just don't think that 700.00 bucks in aftermarket parts is going to do much for me besides stimulating the aftermarket motorcycle parts industry.

Mrd exhaust is only $459

The MRD Z-Pro is $479.00. Ifn you want it quieter add $15.00 for Quiet Core, $10 for the Spark Arrestor and another $10.00 for Heat Shield Tabs if you want to install the OEM heat shield back on. Probably shipping costs too.

That being said. It will do a stock engine good and be all you need if you upgrade/mod your engine and carb.

• Like 2

You're right.

These bikes are not torque-monster bikes.

And it takes some serious dough to make them beastly.

But $700 is way too much money for an exhaust and jet kit.

I paid $550 from the dealer for my yoshi RS2. Jet kit is $75. Canadian dollars.

The yoshimura instructions tell you to keep the stock needle and just change the main jet.

So really, you'll be looking at around the $560 price. Most dealers will sell you single jets for cheap.

We all want better performance, you can always upgrade to a bigger bike.

Get a sportbike if you want to go stupid fast.

Or if you want to stick to supermoto but want to play with the big boys.

You can go drop $10k on a ktm and another $3k in wheels+kit to get a light weight beastly supermoto.

Edited by Stuwy123
  • Like 1

Skip the exhaust, you'll just make more noise. Do get a FCR, it'll transform the bike more than anything else

• Like 1

If you plan to just do the exhaust and rejet don't forget to do the 3x3 to the airbox. It does help adding these over stock and will run better. The FCR will give it some gains as well but with the stock exhaust not a lot, you will get more with the full exhaust. The FCR really adds the snap vs the BSR carb. Just sayin :D

• Like 1

I just did the JD jet kit, MRD uncorked and 3x3 mod and air filter.

Yes the gains were noticeable but not huge.

I am now at the crossroads of getting and FCR or holding off till I can afford a big bore kit.

The JD kit and MRD are just not enough alone.

• Like 1

1) the Yoshi RS2 can be had for just over $410

2)I think the best bang for your buck upgrade is going to be the FCR39-MX.

1) Excellent choice for a woods bike or stock cams.

2) Was for me, no doubt!

• Like 1

I just did the JD jet kit, MRD uncorked and 3x3 mod and air filter.

Yes the gains were noticeable but not huge.

I am now at the crossroads of getting and FCR or holding off till I can afford a big bore kit.

The JD kit and MRD are just not enough alone.

Just do the FCR and a set of Hot Cams and leave it. I ran mine with this set up for 55,000 miles and it worked GREAT. Granted not the power like my KTM but so damned reliable and I could still do 105 mph :D

• Like 2