Sign in to follow this  

New to bikes, looking for a DS, few questions first

I had my first dirt bike experience this weekend and was instantly addicted. 

I rode my friends 2008 Honda CRF250R and loved it, especially how powerful and responsive the accelleration feels. 

However I don't want a dirt bike because of the insane amount of maintenance they require, and I don't want to have to use my truck to transport it every time.  I think it's also becoming harder to make a dirt bike street legal in Canada.

I was researching the Honda CRF250L, but I'm worried that even with the performance mods it will still be lacking the power and responsiveness I want.  Would a DR-Z400S better meet this? 

My friend was telling me it's basically a trade off...either you get high performance-high maintenance.....or you get low performance-low maintenance.  Is this true?

I will be riding mostly dirt and around town.  Very little highway.

Look at Yamaha WR250R. Solid performance, on and off the road...low maintenance. Legendary reliability.

Look at Yamaha WR250R. Solid performance, on and off the road...low maintenance. Legendary reliability.

I'll check it out.  It has more pep than the CRF250L?  They are all rated at 250cc so how do you find out which has more power?

Edited by doodles

the DRZ would be perfect, cheap, tons of aftermarket parts, plenty of power, great to bug around town on and hit some trails, lots of folks realize this and are scarfing them up fast though...Roost

I have a CRF250L and love it, and I've been riding all my life. Won't be as powerful as the R you rode, but it's a MUCH better bike than people give it credit for. And costs WAY less than the Yamaha WR250R, although the Yamaha is a pretty badass bike. With my mods, which includes a suspension custom made for my weight, my CRF250L still costs less than the WR, and it probably performs better now. I'll add a 305 big bore kit this winter and more power than a WR, at still be at a lower price point.

All that being said, best bang for the buck is probably the DRZ400. From what I hear they're bulletproof motors and I know there's a ton of stuff for them in the aftermarket. The DRZ400 was my first choice when looking for a DS, and I had every intention of getting one, but then I saw my bike now on CL for too good of a deal to pass it up.

Given your super short riding season I would not invest too heavily until you decide just how addicted you really are. A dual sport is the way to go as it can replace your truck or car commuting or riding around town ... except in a Canadian Winter.

I'd go for a 250 as it will be easier to learn good off road technique. The DRZ400 is great bike (YES, I owned one, E model) but quite heavy for a total NOOB off road. Always better to start on something light and nimble.

Buy USED. Also consider the KLX250S. With a 300 kit and a few mods it's a super little bike too. The Honda would be an excellent choice but the KLX will be less money.

The WR250 Yam is great but very expensive ... and just overkill for a Noob rider. Start cheap and cheerful ... if you get into it and want more ... you can move up in a couple years.

A used Honda will be hard to find as it's a fairly new bike. More KLX's out there, at least here in California.

Edited by 54321

The Crf actually costs less than the klx

There's good used ones too. I paid $4k for my 2014 CRF250L with only 71 miles :D

I would suggest the drz400 over a crf250l, you will be much happier with performance. The crf250r and 250l are completely different bikes, and if you're expecting the 250l to be anything like the 250r you will be very disappointed. The wr250r is a good option but not cheap, and the klx250 is going to be close to the crf250l, but slighty faster(slightly). Since you are new, I would try to find an older bike like a suzuki dr250 or d350, though I wouldn't suggest an xr250l or klr 250 as they are rather under powered.