Sign in to follow this  

Turn signals not flashing?

I put the rear turn signals back on my 650L, fronts are removed. Normal incandescent bulbs. When I turn the switch on the light comes on steady, doesn't flash. I bought a new Honda OEM flasher signal unit, but it made no difference, same problem. I tried putting the front signals back on and same thing happens, both lights (front and rear) steady on, no flash. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help? Also if it helps to troubleshoot, the indicator light in the dashboard comes on with the flasher switch in the right position, but does not come on in the left. Turn lights on steady in both positions though.

Thanks for any help......

With the OEM flashers they require a certain amount of current in order to work properly.  Under normal conditions if they acted this way it would indicate a blown bulb.  Check and make sure you have the correct wattage bulbs in the turn signals.  It takes the correct wattage bulbs both front and rear to work properly.

Yes I think this is my problem, the lights are less wattage the the original, they are from a euro XR650R, so I think I will have to add resistors or get a flasher unit with less of a threshold.

The other issue with no dashboard indicator on the left side resolved itself with a loose connection on the harness plug.

You could also try an automotive type flasher. Sometimes they are less sensitive to wattage.

Edited by kmequint

if you use less wattage bulbs, not enough current will go through the flasher to heat it up and bend the internal metallic strip. So, you have two options:

1) use oem wattage specs on light bulbs

or

2) use an LED flasher

use a solid state flasher relay made for led bulbs. no specific load required to operate. some led flashers are silent while others are available that make a clicking noise like a conventional flasher relay.

Hi,...Ive got the same problem but only happens on right hand indicators (Both front and rear) on my 650L, Indicators have been on and off the bike at some stage, for bush bashing Im guessing so Ive repaired the dodgy twist-up wiring joints, but now I'll check the globes.  Is the solid state flasher relay a readily available thing???

Forgot to mention that my neutral light on dash only works when the bike is cold,..No big deal really but is it possibly just an adjustment???  Have to pull the clutch lever in when no neatral light,...any thoughts?

Mine does this (not correct turn signals so amp draw is prob less) if I tap the flasher with my finger it will flash once while stationary but riding with road vibration and vibration of engine seems to work good enough, a standard automotive thermal flasher seems to require more load than the original ones and will not work for me, prob just go solid state 3 wire and be done with it. (just ground the extra terminal to the frame or forks or something and your golden )

Go to your local Napa parts store and buy their flasher EL12 in the Echlin line.  should cost about $12.00

Yea,... pulled the globes out to check the wattage, all good, put em back in and whatta ya know??? things are working again. Shit contacts im guessing.

OK I got a digital turn signal flasher to resolve this problem, the new unit has 3 leads (positive, negative and to the signal), but the stock wiring on the bike has two leads....

Can this unit be used?