Sign in to follow this  

Gearing Question for Different Rear Wheels

I have a 17" wheels on my SM, I also have a set of 21"/18" E wheels I'm planning on using this winter.

I have 15/39 sprockets with my 17" rear wheel since I do a lot of highway. Currently my 18" rear has a 44 rear sprocket and knobbies with ice spikes in them, making the rear wheel not fit with my chain and swingarm. I'm planning on replacing the ice tires with lower profile DOT knobbies and getting a 39 rear sprocket for the 18" rear wheel as well so it will fit the same as my 17" rear wheel.

Will the gearing be noticeably different with the slightly larger rear wheel?

Gearing really will depend on what you will be using it for. A 39 will be no good for dirt. 44 is the stock S model sprocket. I have tried many different combo's and found 15/39 17" best for street and 15/47 21/18 for dirt. You can go 14/47 if you will never hit street.

The DRZ doesn't  make enough HP to pull 5th gear with a 39 on the 18" wheel, I run a 43,tried a 41 and lost 8 mph on top end verses the 43, plus it killed the acceleration lower speeds.

Gearing really will depend on what you will be using it for. A 39 will be no good for dirt. 44 is the stock S model sprocket. I have tried many different combo's and found 15/39 17" best for street and 15/47 21/18 for dirt. You can go 14/47 if you will never hit street.

I'll be commuting on the street mostly. In the snow, hence the knobbies.