Sign in to follow this  

2011 350 will idle but wont take revs...

Thank you all in advance.

Last week the machine shut off on me while I was riding. It acted like I seized the the top end. This was not the case. the bike did flame out on me a few times during this ride but was able to start and ride normally after each one.

I can get the bike to start, and idle, but it wont take any throttle.

At first I suspected the TPS, I reset it to the .601 setting and the bike had no change in its performance. I played with the TPS by hand and I could make the issue worse, but I could not make it better.

I cleaned the injector and i added a new inline micron filter. Still, not any better.

i swapped the TPS for an older one that i had laying around. this might be a worthless test bc this is another old, used unit. I set the 2nd TPS to .601 and still the bike was the same. I played with it by hand... and with with the TPS all the way against the left stopper the bike is better, but not rideable. it will take small revs... but anything aggressive and it falls on its face.

i tested the TPS on the multimeter and twisiting the throttle and the resistance is changing. but im not sure if a bad TPS would still did that.

this sounds to me like its spark or fuel issue.

i really dont want to order a new TPS just to try it.. but  i will if anyone has any advice on the matter.

any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

Since the TPS was a problem ... Id invest in a new one. Then my second thought is fuel. Cant recall if there was a screen in the tank or not.

Check the harnesses attached to the battery since they issued a bulletin on those coming loose.

Mine had a bad spark plug cap .... but that was never an issue (the dealer said it was bad when I had it in for a recall) ....

I had the exact same problem.

It turned out being a broken wire on the relay on the right side of the battery box.

Check all your connections and the wires running into them.

Good luck.

thanks for the tips guys. i am headed to the garage now to investigate. I spoke with the KTM dealer and we decided that the regular automotive fuel lines that i put in the tank with the new fuel filter might be suspect. They are not mean to be submerged.... and i pulled a lot of black gunkus out of the little inline micron filter.

I had a fried with just the same problem recently

the problem was my fault.

when i replaced the in tank filter i used regular fuel hose. the outer sheath started deteriorating there was little black pieces everywhere.

gates makes a submersible fuel hose. its number 27093