Sign in to follow this  

Steep Hills

I done my first huge hillclimb Saturday and barely made it up. I was on my KX125 and my friend was on his YZ85. He made it close to halfway and the bike flipped back on him. He couldn't make it up, and I was sketched out to ride down it because just barely going and feathering the clutch my front wheel wouldn't stay down. It was steep enough that walking up it almost gave me a heat stroke. I finally got brave enough to ride down it and had the rear brake locked up and the front brake was close. It took us a good 2-3 minutes to get down this hill. Is that decent for a beginner and does anyone else have similar stories?

• Like 1

Yes your doing good for a beginner. Every hill you climb will get more comfortable and soon you will be riding down anything you can ride up. And with hill climbing come the less talked about sport of motorcycle wrestling. Every good hill climber is a seasoned motorcycle wrestler

• Like 3

Yes your doing good for a beginner. Every hill you climb will get more comfortable and soon you will be riding down anything you can ride up. And with hill climbing come the less talked about sport of motorcycle wrestling. Every good hill climber is a seasoned motorcycle wrestler

We weren't expecting to come up to a massive hill. We were just riding trails and we started going up it not knowing it was as big and steep as it was. I don't think a racer like me is made for hill climbs. Lol it was fun, but I can now see why they have extended swingarms and paddle tires on the purpose built bikes. After we done that and found our way back I decided to stay on the track. Lol

You're doing good. My first steep hill climb I flipped the bike back on myself, if I had the clutch covered it could have easily been prevented. Always keep one or two fingers on the clutch. Now, that hill is a piece of cake to me. Momentum is your best friend on steep hills

• Like 1

You're doing good. My first steep hill climb I flipped the bike back on myself, if I had the clutch covered it could have easily been prevented. Always keep one or two fingers on the clutch. Now, that hill is a piece of cake to me. Momentum is your best friend on steep hills

My friend flipped the 85 back on him. He said he was glad he was wearing a helmet because his head slammed a rock. I always keep two fingers on the clutch, I made myself get used to it when I was 14. As far as the momentum goes, my friend was going slow so I couldn't build up any momentum and the dirt was soft with big rocks.

My friend flipped the 85 back on him. He said he was glad he was wearing a helmet because his head slammed a rock. I always keep two fingers on the clutch, I made myself get used to it when I was 14. As far as the momentum goes, my friend was going slow so I couldn't build up any momentum and the dirt was soft with big rocks.

Wow, good thing he was wearing a helmet! When I flipped my bike I landed on softball sized rocks, good thing I was wearing a helmet and a chest protector. Never ride without them, and gloves, goggles, boots. All are life savers. The hill I flipped my bike on was freshly cut and had logs, roots, GIANT rocks and it was a tad wet. They had just cut it and had cleaned up most of the debris but left a lot of the things I listed. Me and my uncle went up the hill, I hit a rock and all I could see was the sky and then bam! Landed right on my back. Luckily I walked away with small bruises and a hell of a story to tell haha.

Edit: a hell of a story and a hell of a lesson! Always keep the clutch covered! Haha

Edited by JackXR200
  • Like 2

Wow, good thing he was wearing a helmet! When I flipped my bike I landed on softball sized rocks, good thing I was wearing a helmet and a chest protector. Never ride without them, and gloves, goggles, boots. All are life savers. The hill I flipped my bike on was freshly cut and had logs, roots, GIANT rocks and it was a tad wet. They had just cut it and had cleaned up most of the debris but left a lot of the things I listed. Me and my uncle went up the hill, I hit a rock and all I could see was the sky and then bam! Landed right on my back. Luckily I walked away with small bruises and a hell of a story to tell haha.

Edit: a hell of a story and a hell of a lesson! Always keep the clutch covered! Haha

The only things I don't wear is a chest protector and neck brace. I'm glad you were ok after that man! When I walked down the hill he was sitting on a the dirt scooped up to the side and was holding the bike with his head down.

The only things I don't wear is a chest protector and neck brace. I'm glad you were ok after that man! When I walked down the hill he was sitting on a the dirt scooped up to the side and was holding the bike with his head down.

Man that's rough. Glad he's okay! Just think, if you keep practicing on these difficult hills, when you come to an easier one you're gonna demolish it! Haha
  • Like 1

My little guy and I were at FoxValley a couple weekends ago.  Tons of trails and some serious hill climbs.  One of them is a straight line up, no turns, few rocks or roots or ruts.

We looked at it and he was shaking his head "no way".  Fine, we go play on other less intimidating hills.  Later we were at the bottom of it again.  Told him to hump the tank and pin the throttle and dont shift into second....just let it scream in 1st gear.  Keep ready on the clutch.

He did it and had an awesome little fist pump at the top.

We turn around and look down it.  Again "NO WAY".

Went a different direction, circled around and came to the bottom again.  Now he has it and ripped up there NP.  Told him at some point, should try going down.  "leave clutch out, 1st gear, a bit of back brake and a bunch of front.  Try not to lock up either.  If end up going kind of fast by the time you get the bottom, that is OK, ride it out instead of panic skid".

He did it.

Up and down 10-12 times then.

Was fun

Just takes time and confidence and getting that first one out of the way.

He had no interest in doing the bigger technical climbs with turns and roots and rocks.  That is AOK with me.  Maybe next time.  Or not.

• Like 1

My little guy and I were at FoxValley a couple weekends ago.  Tons of trails and some serious hill climbs.  One of them is a straight line up, no turns, few rocks or roots or ruts.

We looked at it and he was shaking his head "no way".  Fine, we go play on other less intimidating hills.  Later we were at the bottom of it again.  Told him to hump the tank and pin the throttle and dont shift into second....just let it scream in 1st gear.  Keep ready on the clutch.

He did it and had an awesome little fist pump at the top.

We turn around and look down it.  Again "NO WAY".

Went a different direction, circled around and came to the bottom again.  Now he has it and ripped up there NP.  Told him at some point, should try going down.  "leave clutch out, 1st gear, a bit of back brake and a bunch of front.  Try not to lock up either.  If end up going kind of fast by the time you get the bottom, that is OK, ride it out instead of panic skid".

He did it.

Up and down 10-12 times then.

Was fun

Just takes time and confidence and getting that first one out of the way.

He had no interest in doing the bigger technical climbs with turns and roots and rocks.  That is AOK with me.  Maybe next time.  Or not.

That's a cool story. I couldn't get going to fast by the bottom because there was only five or six foot before you hit the woods. I screwed up and dropped in a deep hole. I didn't want to turn because it seemed like I would lose traction so I just held on tight and dropped in. We found out why no one was going through that trail though.

I reckon you guys did real well on those bikes, its always a weird feeling coming onto something that looks impossible.

I just rode my first hill climbs, same as you, un-expected and loved it.

Here's a video of my last ride with a couple of hill climbs (HD) 

http://youtu.be/Sy8vrSSnoSk

• Like 2