Crank case crush washer dimensions

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the dimension (the size of the hole specifically ) of the crank case drain plug crush washer. I have a ride planned and I needed to change my oil before hand but I don't want to pull the plug to get the measurement so I don't end up bike less while I wait for the oem part to come in the mail if I can't find it locally.

Ace.

just replace it with a copper washer (available at any auto part place) so it can be re used rather than keep buying new crush washers, its a 14mm headed bolt so just buy a few of similar size so u know at least 1 will be right size (they only cost pennies) so u can do job straight away & then you'll know the exact for future reference if needed. as long as it doesn't leak it afterwards it doesn't matter if not a crush washer.

Or you could just buy 1 of these from ebay in time for you to do it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DR-Z-400-BE1111-2003-Magnetic-Oil-Drain-Plug-Bolt-/110944966638?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19d4d5d7ee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the dimension (the size of the hole specifically ) of the crank case drain plug crush washer. I have a ride planned and I needed to change my oil before hand but I don't want to pull the plug to get the measurement so I don't end up bike less while I wait for the oem part to come in the mail if I can't find it locally.

Ace.

Hey Ace, glad I found this topic.  I was wondering if you might be able to help me here regarding "crush washers"  I own a YZ360 that uses rubber O-rings for head gaskets, and the head is then sealed with fasteners and "crush washers".

Well the dealer wants $2.50 each and I have to get 6 of them.  I think that's just highway robbery for copper washers.

So I measured what I have which is M8 x 15mm OD and 1mm thick and found them on eBay for only $5 with ship.  I just wondering if there is a difference between "crush" washers and just plain old "copper" washers.  Dealer calls them "washer plate" but who are we kidding?  It's a copper washer.

I guess my questions in case you might know is, is there a difference between "crush" and "copper" washers or are they pretty much the same thing?

:devil:

It may be just a question of semeiotics.  When I think of a crush washer it is a folded steel washer as seen on spark plugs. Suzuki seems to like that style of crush washer.  KTM and many others like soft copper washers.  Honda (M/C and cars) like soft aluminum washers.  The folded steel crush washers do actually crush down. Copper washers mostly hold their shape and aluminum washers will mush down if over tightened.  The 3 styles are mostly interchangeable but not always.  if it is a high torque application that originally used a copper washer, stay with copper washer.

yeah those aluminum flat washers, Ive used them as life time washers, cant recall the last time I replaced one.

I was in the the mc shop one time, guy says you want a cruch washer for your drain plug, I said that washer has been flawless for 80,000 miles, why change it now?

well your supposed to change it, okay LOL!!!!

Hi all,

Ace.

No need to replace them, just use some pipe thread dope.

• Like 1