Sign in to follow this  

1989 honda cr 500 worth a gamble ?

A guy close to me is selling this 1989 honda cr500 .

Bike starts and has plenty compression and needs a bit work ,

Left side crankcase is a bit of a mess but other than that seems fine .

Worth £900

image-5.jpg

image-6.jpg

image-7.jpg

I would! wicked powerful motor. If it runs well do it.

• Like 1

worst suspended CR500 you can get from 87 to 2001 is an 89. Plan on spending $$ on getting them better if you wanna ride it hard.

that thing looks like a hodge podge of different year parts. left case is trashed. doubt i would pay $500 here in the states and thats only if the cylinder and tranny are still in decent shape

that thing looks like a hodge podge of different year parts. left case is trashed. doubt i would pay $500 here in the states and thats only if the cylinder and tranny are still in decent shape

I did speak to the seller on the phone last night and he was quite honest in his assessment .

Said that the front forks need serviced or replaced , wheels and tyres are fine , frame needs powder coated but doesn't have any cracks or holes in it , needs new set of plastics as the seat and rear plastics are of a 93 bike , crank case needs replaced ,

Engine starts has crazy compression and all gaskets look new. No leaks other than crankcase .

He reckons if you spent £700-1000 on the bike would it would be 100% spot on .

Mmmmmmmmmmm not sure now

if 900 your currency = $1500usd theres no way i would touch that bike. its ancient and needs work. probly has a million miles on everything.  in excellent shape it would barely be worth $1500. keep looking for something that isnt roached out

if 900 your currency = $1500usd theres no way i would touch that bike. its ancient and needs work. probly has a million miles on everything.  in excellent shape it would barely be worth $1500. keep looking for something that isnt roached out

That's what a thinking

In Australia you would pay about $3000 as is for that thing, I've seen 89s in mint condition for $9000

Seriously ???

That CR500 looks rough with newer 93 seat / plastics towards the back installed as mentioned.   I'd keep looking... 

I have a welder friend here that would fix up that crank hole easily. He did same for me to my 01CR250. Worked great. Even brought back the mounting for the case saver. It was a few hundred plus he fixed a crazy chewed up swingarm from years of chain neglect. I would leave aesthetics alone. 

Edited by shrubitup

that bike would barely be worth his asking price if it was still in the crate. as it sits i doubt he could give it away for $500 here in the states. well except to shrubitup who would pay $1500 and put $1500 more into it

that bike would barely be worth his asking price if it was still in the crate. as it sits i doubt he could give it away for $500 here in the states. well except to shrubitup who would pay $1500 and put $1500 more into it

Do you write encouragement cards for Hallmark?

• Like 1