Sign in to follow this  

oil leak from drain plug?

hey guys.

I have a KTM 450 EXC 2004 model. all has been good except a hopefully minor issue. 

i noticed drips of oil on the concrete in the shed then had a look and also noticed a little bit of oil around the drain bolt washer and a little spread of it on the engine case just slightly below where the bolt is.

the bolt/threads are not stripped, the bolt tightens completely and right now its on pretty tight(as tight as it can safely go). i always tighten it using a ratchet spanner till its snug, then another quarter turn only, as i am unable to get a torque wrench/socket in there because a bit of the frame is in the way.

its not too much of an oil leak, very little drips here and there and its definitely not coming from the oil screen bolt because there is no oil around that, plus ive already replaced that bolt and o-ring.

ive washed the bike completely prior to this leak also, so its definitely not excess oil.

im wondering, would it just be the copper/crush washer that id need to replace? ive never replaced that washer or bolt.

not sure what else it could be....

it could be the copper washer. It should be replaced aftr a couple of oil changes or heated and annealled to soften it. It could possibly have a crack in the case side in the threads too.

it could be the copper washer. It should be replaced aftr a couple of oil changes or heated and annealled to soften it. It could possibly have a crack in the case side in the threads too.

Well in my opinion, its not a big enough leak to warrant a crack in the engine case or threads.

Plus I used a high powered led torch and inspected all the threads and found nothing concerning. I did check for any cranks but from what I can tell, there is none.

i'd try annealing the washer as a firs step.

assuming it is copper, just heat it with a propane torch until it is glowing cherry hot. for copper, you can either quench it in cold water or just let it air cool (water is faster, but washers are so small they air cool quickly).

that makes it soft. it will likely form a dark color crust on it (especially if you air cool it...quenching it sometimes cause that to flake off). lightly sand that crust off with fine sandpaper so it is copper colored again.

then, when you put the drain plug back in, the now soft washer can conform to the surfaces and actually make a seal. (and then it hardens back up from the "work" of being squeezed between bolt and engine case.)

if that doesn't work, then try a new washer.

(you can also anneal aluminum washers by heating them to glowing cherry red and letting them cool.)

• Like 1

+1 / Don't over tighten or you go the threadsert.

• Like 1

+1 / Don't over tighten or you go the threadsert.

Its never been over tightened.

I've only ever tightened it till snug and then a quarter of a turn and never forced it.

I'm not ruling it out completely but from what I've seen and inspected and from how I tighten it, which is properly and not with force, there is no possible way it could've cracked.

Plus, I'd say it would've cross threaded before anything else and it's definitely not cross threaded.

Edited by pdee4t

i'd try annealing the washer as a firs step.

assuming it is copper, just heat it with a propane torch until it is glowing cherry hot. for copper, you can either quench it in cold water or just let it air cool (water is faster, but washers are so small they air cool quickly).

that makes it soft. it will likely form a dark color crust on it (especially if you air cool it...quenching it sometimes cause that to flake off). lightly sand that crust off with fine sandpaper so it is copper colored again.

then, when you put the drain plug back in, the now soft washer can conform to the surfaces and actually make a seal. (and then it hardens back up from the "work" of being squeezed between bolt and engine case.)

if that doesn't work, then try a new washer.

(you can also anneal aluminum washers by heating them to glowing cherry red and letting them cool.)

Nice to know you can resurrect a washer if needed. I always try to keep a couple of new ones available. Buy them five at a time so you always have them. Never try tightening it to solve the leak.

• Like 1

I just replace the crush washer once a year or when it's looking a little worn. They are cheap, throw away and put a new one on.