Won't run with dead battery?

Hi guys, my friend has recently brought a excf 250 2012 model, it was fine for a month but during the last outing it just died, started up fine but ran for 10 seconds and does again, time and time again, so after first assuming the fuel filters were the problem I removed them and they were full of black gunk, mainly in the in tank filter. So replaced these and cleaned the injector to find we still have the same problem, oh forgot to add she wouldn't even turn over at the time of failure just made lots of relay clicking sounds. So took the battery off my xcf and hey presto she runs fine again, BUT if I disconnect the battery while it's running it then dies instantly which my xcf doesn't, now I think it's the regulator but am unsure, I've checked all the fuses and even tried a different starter relay but no success. The generator is definitely working as I've also checked that. So where or wot next is the question???

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards. Stan

Well bad news I'm afraid! Bike ran fine for a few hours with the new battery but then started spluttering, popping banging, and will not run properly! If it was mine I'd insure it and set fire to the damn thing! Oh well it's gone back to the local dealer, just glad my xcf doesn't have this problem...

• 2 weeks later...

It's the excf 250, just had the fuel filter changed, put a new battery on and she ran fine for a few hrs then started spluttering again, now it seems headlight won't stay on, comes on when reving up the engine but flickers flashes on and off, I think it's the rectifier but would like someone's opinion I anyone knows anything??

Cheers guys for any input..