Sign in to follow this  

Am I to big for a yz125?

I am 170lbs 6,1. I have a yz250f right now but I'm getting rid of it because of repair cost. I had a 06 yz250 before and I could ride it but it was not that fun IMO. I like keeping bikes pinned but is the 125 gonna carry me over jumps( like doubles) and is it gonna have enough power for racing? Every opioion will be appreciated.

(I know my username is messed up)

A 125 will pull you just fine. You have to ride them the way they are meant to be ridden though, keep it in the power.

• Like 1

You'll be fine, my son is your stats, maybe 15 lbs. heavier and he has zero issue's with running the 125, he also prefer's the 125 over my 250F, he said the 125 is more fun. The 144 kit is an option that you may find interesting and get's great review's.

I'm 175#'s and ride the B class on my 125. You will be fine. The only time the bike will struggle is in morning practice when the track is really deep. Put 13/50 gearing and let it rip.

I'm 170 and 6'3". My buddies yz125 hauled my butt up and down long steep trails for 3 days with no problems other than the idiot riding it ;)

You need to tell us what class you are racing, and what kind or track you are racing on.  Head to head with 4 strokes in a highly competitive class is going to be frustrating.  I rarely ride MX (I'm a woods rider/racer), but I just spent the day at the track on my YZ 125 (I weigh 180).  In the tight sections of the track, I felt like I could run all over the 4 strokes (even the 450s), but they are gone in the open sections.  The advantage that they have over 125s is also huge when it comes to jumps immediately following a corner.  On a 125 you need to rail it wide and hit the jump wide open.  They can plod to the inside, stop for a sandwich, and still exit the corner with enough thrust to clear the jump.  You may be better off with a 250 smoker, but it all depends on how your classes are arranged and the rules.

If you are mainly riding for fun with occasional racing, get the 125.  I went with two other guys on 125s, and we had huge fun!

You need to tell us what class you are racing, and what kind or track you are racing on. Head to head with 4 strokes in a highly competitive class is going to be frustrating. I rarely ride MX (I'm a woods rider/racer), but I just spent the day at the track on my YZ 125 (I weigh 180). In the tight sections of the track, I felt like I could run all over the 4 strokes (even the 450s), but they are gone in the open sections. The advantage that they have over 125s is also huge when it comes to jumps immediately following a corner. On a 125 you need to rail it wide and hit the jump wide open. They can plod to the inside, stop for a sandwich, and still exit the corner with enough thrust to clear the jump. You may be better off with a 250 smoker, but it all depends on how your classes are arranged and the rules.

If you are mainly riding for fun with occasional racing, get the 125. I went with two other guys on 125s, and we had huge fun!

I just got done racing some hare scrambles and enduros. Now I'm gonna start racing mx probably start off in the 250c.

I've been a 125 guy for a long time and as much fun as I have on the small bore bikes they just don't cut it in the open stuff for me. I'm not sure where you ride but I find myself looking for more power in the Nevada and Oregon deserts. If you will only me riding mx, go for the 125. You'll be a better rider for it

I'm 48 years old and race motocross almost every weekend on a 2009 YZ144 Eric Gorr conversion.  I took a titanium rear spring from a YZ250f and left the forks with the stock springs.  I'm a Novice and I weigh about 190lbs.  It is so much fun to ride and race, especially in the mud!

I'm 185 and ride a yz125 (144) and I love it. I also own a 250f. Both are great in different ways, but I believe I have more fun on the 125. I also find it easier to ride and jump. I realize popular opinion says that's backwards, but that's how it seems to me. As for power, there's plenty of it. Just have to rev it more. I highly reccomend an Eric Gorr 144 conversion for a bit more umph.

• Like 2

Depends on the type of track you ride and the elevation it sits at. A 125 has a hard time competing against 4stokes on a tight mx or sx track. I've also noticed my 125 has tons of power at sea level, but i feel like it is lacking power at 3000 feet elevation (even with proper jetting).

• Like 1

My son is 5'-10" and 170.  Upper mid-pack B rider in mx.  Racing a stock engine yz125 with 13/51 gearing.  Ran most of last year on a 49t sprocket.  Switched to a 50t at beginning of this year just to try it out.  Decided to add 1 more tooth to the final of a 51 and absolutely loves it.  Plenty of pep getting out of tight corners. 

Back in the day (1989) I rode the living crap out of a 125 at right at 200lb.  Totally and completely box stock.  Kept it pinned ALL YEAR.

Managed to win the 200A class championship that year and put it into the AA class for 1990.

This was SERA enduro, with monster hills along the way.  Not mountains, but some big azz hills in Arkansas and Alabama.

Be assured that unless you are Jeremy frickin' McGrath (remember, this was '89) that the bike will not be the weak link.  :)

• Like 1