Sign in to follow this  

Slime in tires?

Is it a good idea or not? I have heard conflicting arguments for the stuff.

Never helped me besides making it easy to find the hole.

I think everyone's mileage varies on this depending on where you ride and how you ride. I've read conflicting statements about it and finally just decided to try it for myself. I've put 4 rides (about 200 miles) in since having put slime in my tubes but haven't had any punctures yet to know how well its going to work. So far the only minor issue I have is when checking tire pressure before my ride you need to make sure the valve stem is somewhere around the 12 O'clock position so the valve stem does not clog when you are taking a pressure reading with your gauge. If it does clog just briefly put a blip of air into the tire with your pump to clear the valve stem of the slime and then recheck the pressure with the gauge. I figured putting the slime in there wouldn't be a bad thing as opposed to having nothing in there and being 100% sure of a flat. If the tube rips inside the tire, it will make a mess.

When I ran tubes I never used slime. Running Tubliss inserts I always run a little slime. It eliminates any slow leaks.

CoKTM