Sign in to follow this  

Stock 230 Wheels

Are the stock 230 wheels poor quality?  I have lost another spoke in the rear.  I don't recall getting anything in the wheel and this is about the 4th time it has happened.  I keep them tight, but I have been riding a lot harder and in rougher terrain.  Is it a fluke, or should new wheels go on the upgrade list?

All of our trails are groomed so we don't have those kind of problems out here.

Are you casing 100 foot triple jumps Harvo? Only you know how they broke. Some guys can break a ball bearing in a rubber room! No but seriously, they don't appear lower quality that a crf250r race bike. Rarely does anyone but a freestyle jumper need hd thicker spokes, but u could be that guy. Wheels are made to flex, so if they're too tight, they may break easier too. Any rust? Stock suspension?

Are the stock 230 wheels poor quality?  I have lost another spoke in the rear.  I don't recall getting anything in the wheel and this is about the 4th time it has happened.  I keep them tight, but I have been riding a lot harder and in rougher terrain.  Is it a fluke, or should new wheels go on the upgrade list?

Have you made sure that all of the other spokes are lubricated and the right torque? Once one goes, the others are instantly under a lot more stress. Replacing one is often a false economy. Its non-trivial to replace one, its not much more to replace them all. No way I'd replace four one-at-a-time, I'd get a full set. I'd also get them from someone like Buchannan that sells heavier-than-stock ones. The difference in cost and weight it trivial, and it will solve the problem.

Of course, spokes do not last forever. They require maintenance and probably should be thrown away after 8 to ten year anyway. My 230F is a 2004, and the rear spokes were junked.

It's only 6 months old and I don't jump very high or far. Some might say that they never see the rear tire leave the ground when I jump lol.

The problem is, aside from the first spoke I broke. .. I don't know when it happened or what I was doing. I found them while cleaning the bike.

Maybe the first one I broke did start a chain reaction. I'll look into changing them all this time.

How do you guys lube the spokes? Never heard of that.

Edited by Harvo

You just want to have a small amount of light oil on the threads between the spoke and nipple when you install them.

Chain reaction is a good way of looking at it.

Wow, its new. That is not good. How big are you? I weigh about 260 lbs (more than the bike) so I know that I stress this bike out.

Edited by pat22043

Pat has a good point, you may want to replace them all. Nowadays, with dwindling resources, imagine that the cheap grade of Chinese or Brazilian spoke steel may be the culprit. If your tire isn't getting off the ground much and they're popping, you've got a bad batch. I don't think u need bigger gauge spokes, just better quality.

There's a special spoke thread lube, it's kinda expensive, that actually has just the right amount of friction such that it isn't so slippery that it would let the spokes loosen up too easy. I've laced and trued a number of wheels and I don't use any lube at all. I find they hold tension longer dry. Wish there was a water soluble spoke lube. But I do use a cool tool called a Faast Spoke torque wrench. It's little, 4", and clicks at the preset like say 46 in lbs for mx bike spokes.

• Like 1

im an easy 250lbs. an I ride hard (for an old fat man on a chick bike).

5 years and not a single broke spoke, and with my crappy riding style there should have been.

I did notice that when I first started racing this bike I had to tighten a spoke or two on each wheel, i check them each race, but nothing additional has been required.

however my bike is an 03 and the protective coating on the spokes is going away and im noticing some pitting, so new spokes are soon...

if you are not the original owner, it may be difficult to assume the condition of the spokes or related service. also if you find a spoke loose there is a correct method of tightening it that includes adjacent spokes...

also spoke nuts tend to seize to the spoke and if you are not careful, the act of tightening a spoke can cause damage.

if your spoke is broke at the nut that is what i would assume.

another point of failure is where spokes cross each other. there is contact and wear occurring at this point that will be agitated if the spokes are loose.

if your spoke broke at the crossing point this is what i would assume.

lastly if you ride like me and miss-time every other jump, get exposed roots jammed in there, toss the bike over the hill so you don't have to go back down, or over-shoot a berm and go on a long side slide. spoke breakage is possible..