Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder boring prices?

Its been quite a long time since I had a motorcycle cylinder bored (last time was in the 70s putting a Yoshimura 987 kit in a Kawasaki Z1!), so I am out of the loop on pricing.  I have a Wiseco 277 kit to put in an 03 XR250R.  I'm aware thats a pretty big amount of cutting, so several passes will need to be made by a machine shop.  What I'm wondering is what to expect on price for this bore job.  Handlebar Cycles in Durango, CO said $250, is that out of line or in the ballpark?  Its pretty hard to find anyone around here that will even touch it.

$50-75 here in the Denver area. if in fact it is only a bore and hone, cylinder provided to the shop.

LA sleeve is still cheaper than your quote if you ship it to them.

http://www.lasleeve.com/services/shop-services

Lots cheaper.  I may go that route, there's one other guy I need to call, he does all the boring for the Harley shop here.

Well, I did a little asking around, found a machinist here that does the engines for a lot of the circle track racers, is highly recommended, wants $50.  I gotta wonder what the folks at Handlebar were thinking when they quoted me $250.  Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction on price.

After using the replies here as guidance on price and doing quite a bit of asking around locally, I finally found THE guy for motorcycle machine work.  First guy I talked to turns out he didn't have the capability of doing mc cylinders.  So finally, through the local Harley dealer I found a guy named Ken Varzeas dba Ken's V-Twin.  He's just south of Durango near the state line (Cedar Hill area).  Has one heck of a machine shop on his sort of out of the way property, lives and breaths motorcycle machine work (also does hp auto stuff, too).  Had my cylinder done in 2 1/2 hours, and done right, he even showed me what he did and what machines he used.  If anyone in the 4 corners area needs work done I say give him a call, his number is 505-334-4045.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper