Sign in to follow this  

yz 80 rear brake

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first bike, a 2001 yz 80. it needed some work but I got it for a pretty cheap price and I enjoy working on things. I changed my sprockets and chain last night and took it for a ride today. After I rode I realized that my rear brake rotor ways very hot. So I put my bike on the stand and the back wheel wouldn't spin very easy. it wasn't hard to spin but you could tell that the brake was making contact to the rotor when i tried to spin it. I am stumped and do not know what to do. I would appreciate if some one could help me out cause I am new to bikes.

thanks,

Zach

Zach, your rear brake disc is probably bent slightly, which in turn makes contact with the brake pads every revolution causing the brakes to get hot. If the bend isn't to severe, you might be able to straighten the disc back out. Hopefully.

I would hope that my disc is not bent because I just bought the wheel of of eBay and it is in good shape. I had to buy a new wheel cause the owner before me put a wheel from a cr 85 on it. I noticed that my right pad is worn more than the left.

Is the axle actually touching both tensioners? And you counted the small lines on the tensioner blocks and they're the same?

Did this happen after you changed the sprockets or was it already doing this?

Are you using the wheel spacers from the cr85?

yes the axle is touching both tensioners and the lines on the blocks are the same. I am not sure if this was happening before I changed the sprocket. I used the Yz spacers that came with the wheel. if I take the caliper off I can pry it open and then it will spin ok, but once i ride the bike and use the rear brake and I put it back on the stand it rubs on the pads again. would new brake fluid help or is this more of a master cylinder problem?