Available household item

Won't damage bearing/seat when done correctly

Cons:

Takes a little bit of time and patients 

I cut myself

17A724A2-25F6-4075-AE92-CBFFB0859910-136

C0A7C543-1D33-4C11-87CD-F4C02E37A8FB-136

• Like 2

I have never seen that before... can you elaborate a little here.

I have used paper or grease to get out pilot bearings on clutch jobs before. Its the same concept. 

You pack the middle of the bearing with wet paper or heavy grease. Put the back of a socket or similar on top of it and gently hammer. What happens is the pressure from the wet paper or grease gets behind the bearing and pushes it out. Basically using hydraulic action to force the bearing out of the case. I use it on pilot bearings cause its quick, easy, and wont damage anything. I would not use it on a thin aluminum case. I would recommend freezeing if you have an issue. I am an EE not a mechE but since Al and steel have different properties the rate of contraction will make the steel bearing fall out (or just come out real easy). 

• Like 1

I have never seen that before... can you elaborate a little here.

Take small amounts of wet toilet paper and insert into inner race or the bearing. The idea is to get it behind the bearing. Use a bolt, rod or part the same diameter of the inner race to force the TP in the hole. Once filled even with the bearing LIGHTLY TAP a few stokes on the bolt/rod/part with a hammer. Too much force will break parts.

Add more TP and repeat until the bearing is all the way out. It will take lots of cycles depending on how deep the bearing seat hole is. 

The wet TP acts by hydraulic force behind the bearing.

Yes, I did cut my finger on the sharp case cover  :thumbsdn:

This post makes me want to purchase a bearing puller.

• Like 7