Sign in to follow this  

2006 DRZ400sm Charcaol canister take off terrible

hello all!

i have tried to search for this topic but can't seem to find anything that helps so please don't rip me apart if you have seen it before. I took the charcoal canister off my 06 drz400sm and now it doesn't not run properly. i re routed the gas tank vent, plug the carb, left the tube on the petcock, just like you are supposed to do. now when i am cruising at about 1/2-3/4 throttle is acts like it isn't getting gas. figured i would put it back on and it would be fixed. i am still having the same issue.

this bike is my daily i have no other vehicle some one please help.

Removing the vapor canister (done properly as you apparently did) will not affect running.  So there is some other problem. What other mods are done to the bike?

Verify the fuel tank is venting.  Remove the fuel line, run a hose to a catch can, turn the petcock to PRI and let enough gas run out to verify the tank is venting.

You plugged the nipple on the carb that was the canister purge line, right?

The carb bowl vent is open, right?

What else was done or changed?

Jetting specifications?

Had the bike long?  Is this something new, what is your past experience with this motorcycle?

Removing the vapor canister (done properly as you apparently did) will not affect running.  So there is some other problem. What other mods are done to the bike?

Verify the fuel tank is venting.  Remove the fuel line, run a hose to a catch can, turn the petcock to PRI and let enough gas run out to verify the tank is venting.

You plugged the nipple on the carb that was the canister purge line, right?

The carb bowl vent is open, right?

What else was done or changed?

Jetting specifications?

Had the bike long?  Is this something new, what is your past experience with this motorcycle?

it was fine until i took the canister off, i have had it about a month ride it every single day. carb bowl vent is open, yes i plugged the canister purge line, vented the gas tank, not sure what the jet specs are.

i will have to try to prime the tank like you said, Thank you

the gas tank is venting just fine

anything you would reccomend?

I think he did recommend something. he recommended that if you did everything he suggested than you have a different problem. have you undone everything you did and put everything back the way it was before you started just to check your work? have you had a pro look at it?

Edited by MrMotorhed

I think he did recommend something. he recommended that if you did everything he suggested than you have a different problem. have you undone everything you did and put everything back the way it was before you started just to check your work? have you had a pro look at it?

yes i put it back together the way i took it off, had a motorcycle shop look at it, unfortunately i don't have the time to leave it for him to work on, being that its the only way of transportation that i have, so he couldn't really take the time to look at it in depth

yes i put it back together the way i took it off, had a motorcycle shop look at it, unfortunately i don't have the time to leave it for him to work on, being that its the only way of transportation that i have, so he couldn't really take the time to look at it in depth

ok so what did it run like when you put it back? it can't be that bad if your still driving it. just sayin. if it gets bad enough you'll figure out how to find the time to have that guy look at it.

ok so what did it run like when you put it back? it can't be that bad if your still driving it. just sayin. if it gets bad enough you'll figure out how to find the time to have that guy look at it.

this is why i am so confused, it runs, no problems with idling, no problems when i pin it, only problems is when i cruise about 1/2-3/4 throttle. and most likely your right when i have the time to find rides to/from work and the money for labor for some one to work on it if i can't, i will.

i thought thats what forums were for? asking people with the same interest for help? i must be confused

1/2 to 3/4 throttle is pretty much a lot of throttle for cruise.  Are you at 3/4 throttle position? So 75, 80 mph?

What is the result if you hold it wide open in top gear up a hill so the motor is really working?  Starve for gas, you need a bigger main jet.  It it runs strong WFO but still surges at 1/2 to 3/4 you need to raise the slide needle. A stock carb has no adjustment but the needle can be shimmed up with 1 or 2, 3mm flat washers. (0.5mm thick).  If not already installed, probably time for a JD Jetting jet kit.

It is possible the canister was adding some fuel although it is not suppose to do that once it is purged out.

You plugged the nipple on the carb where the canister purge line went, right?  It is on the bottom near the motor, right?  Petcock vacuum hose is on the top.

You're not confused and that is what forums are for, researching, asking questions and paying close attention while you try to fully answer the questions that are put to you.

Carry on and ignore the comments that imply you must get a mechanic at this early stage of diagnosing what ails your bike. The time for a mech may come but 'Noble' is an excellent source of great info.

Edited by shuswap1

Yes, plugged the line from the canister into carb, left the line from the petcock alone, when I pin it, the bike runs amazing, as soon as I let off the throttle and kind of just cruise is when it starts acting like it's starving for gas

I was going to see how much the cost difference is in just getting a FCR39mm or taking it to a shop

Sorry and yes there is a jet kit in it just not 100% sure which one, they guy before me did the 3x3 mod, jet kit and full yoshi.