Sign in to follow this  

Old timers help me out 93 yz250

Just some back ground knowledge I'm far from stupid when it comes to wrenching on bikes have accomplished several bottom ends and topends,forks etc,this year not to mention the past, I work on bikes on the side for extra income, I'm currently redoing a 1993 yz250 engine for a customer, I have noticed that the bike no longer has a factory mikuni carb, but it has been replaced with a Keihin of some sort it's stamped pj28jan12 or I2 cannot depict the diff really, bare with me,

I'm only 22 and this bike was introduced when I was still shitting in diapers, I have done some research and apparently this was common to swap carbs but all I came up with were pwk38 and an air striker carb mod, can someone fill me in on this and tell me what carb I'm mainly asking so I can get some baseline jetting specs for this bike without being completely blind typically I'd set one up stock and go from there but with this not being a factory carb I'm unsure, If anyone has input help me out thanks. Attached a few pics below

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406682284.000515.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406682370.541671.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406682401.171103.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406682431.570171.jpg

Edited by yzdude250f

PJ was a popular carb before the PWK was made big.

They're not bad carbs, but if it's a '93 - it's safe to assume the stock carb wore out, and that PJ is probably wore out as well.

Can you measure the inside diameter of the carb bore? That will tell us the size anyhow, and we can go from there.

carb bore measures 38mm ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406756401.366337.jpg

Could be a pwm38 too.

The mikuni stock jetting for that year was 350 main, 40 pilot. That what I run on my 94 yz250

The Keihin stock should be around 170 main, 40 pilot but don't quote me on that

jetting in this carb is a little fat at 55pj 175 main

Sweet I have a few spare 42 and 45 pj, I'll set the airscrew at 2 turns and read the plug from there, be a few weeks still waiting on crank bearings and the cylinder to come back.