Sign in to follow this  

Old honda dirt bike / enduro

I got it on trade and was told it's a 1977 but i can not find any parts for it online. can i check the vin somehow and find the year?

far as i know it's a 1977 Honda XR250, was a enduro but they pulled all the lights and stuff off.

here is a pic of the bike

IMG_20140726_201641_zps664d44e4.jpg

I got it on trade and was told it's a 1977 but i can not find any parts for it online. can i check the vin somehow and find the year?

far as i know it's a 1977 Honda XR250, was a enduro but they pulled all the lights and stuff off.

here is a pic of the bike

IMG_20140726_201641_zps664d44e4.jpg

Hell thats not old, thats a pre production 15 Honda with the new updated dual exhaust!

not sure what pre production means but when i search xl i still can't find any parts.. i mainly need a gasket set as the bike run's great rode it over 20 mile's today but has a slight oil leak

Hard to copy and past many links on a phone, but i found https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/honda-parts/honda-model-prefix.aspx by doing a google search for vintage honda vin list xl250 xr250

Many promising results. Above describes how the vin is laid out. Idk how far back that format goes, but if it looks right, it probably is. There is a chart, going back to 79.

Actually, i did the search from startpage.net which uses google search engine without alerting the nsa that im lookin at honda stuff.

Once you know the year and model, if the parts are not in the system, check babbits, they show part numbers for obsolete parts, and have a where used lookup.

Once you have a part number, google it. A lot of old stock out there. On flat gaskets, if you score an oem, use it to trace onto gasket paper of similar thickness and keep the original as a template. Fire up a big stogie and go after the gasket cutting while watching tv.

Uhh, better use startpage or duckduckgo to search. Nsa is cracking down on honda owners.

It is 79 or 80. I have id manual if you PM me Vin and engine numbers. Pretty heavy bike and some had the 23 front. Good slog thru the mud bike as really want to stay away from big bumps and jumps on that. PS they do flat track pretty well on beach though and fire roads are fun.

Looks like a 1980 XR250R

All the engine gaskets should be the same as the XL250S. Search for that

Edited by brraaapperdoodle

post the first part of the vin I can check my book . I would say it's a 79 or 80 XR250 as many others have said. I had two of them great fun as a play bike.  Mine both had 23" front wheels , tires are scarce.  

Yessirree, along with some black spray paint for that finishing touch.

That model was sold as the XL in Australia , 1979 ,1980 .

I have never seen a XR with a 23" front wheel

Oh yeh, i had a 250 and I think a 500 that both had the monsters.