Sign in to follow this  

2014 450sxf for the woods

I am thinking about getting a 14 sxf for the woods, will I have any issues? Over heating or anything? I had an 06 crf450r that I loved in the woods then got a 2012 450 xcw that I hated. The xcw is heavy and a dog. Will the sxf have more power? Any input is much appreciated

I ride a 13 450 SX-F in tight woods and also use it for moto.

I love mine in the woods. It did overheat on me the first couple times but switched to Evans Coolant & CV4 High pressure cap and has not overheated since. I also installed a Rekluse Core Exp and it is awesome now. Hands down the best setup bike I have ever had. I also am running 13/52 gearing due to the super tight goat trail stuff I do with it. Great bike for woods/moto.

Edited by noslo98

If your aim is to roll with a KTM 450 in the woods you should do yourself a favor and pick up the XCF instead of the SXF.  It's the same bike but with the bigger gas tank, 18 inch wheel, o ring chain, softer suspension valving, kickstand, and handguards..... otherwise the bikes are identical.  The big plus here is the gas tank and softer suspension.  My biggest complaint with the SXF is the unbelievably harsh suspension settings in the woods.  The high speed and mid stroke harshness almost makes me not want to ride it in the woods anymore.  When I say woods I'm also talking tight, gnarly rocky rooty, low speed single track.  Even with the 12 tooth sprocket I threw on most of the stuff around here is 1st/2nd gear only with few fire road runs between trails so losing the top end from the 13T or 14T wasn't a big deal.

However, my reason for purchasing this bike was for snowbiking with the Timbersled Mountain Horse.  I've had 3 different bikes in 3 years and the SXF is my favorite by far.  Had the KX450 and WR450... SXF spanks them.  The motor in this bike is insane and has so much top end power it blows my mind along with the overrev characteristics.  This thing revs to the moon and doesn't show any signs of letting up soon.  I usually get a new bike every year and this time I won't be because I'm so happy with it.  But, on the tight woods riding, you don't get to use these awesome motor characteristics.  My KX450F absolutely stomps this bike in the woods with the better low end grunt, softer suspension, and just more comfortable ergonomics.  The build quality of the SXF is apparent, but who cares about that when your spine is being split in two.

I've decided to pick up a 2013 300 XC for the woods instead and toss in a Rekluse 3.0, making pretty much the ultimate woods weapon.  I've been looking for a lightly used one and haven't found the right one yet.  The Rekluse does a great job making a big 450 manageable in the woods (had it in my KX450F and LOVED it), but the suspension just pisses me off to no end.  Go get a custom suspension job from Carl's Cycle or RG3 and it'll make the bike way more agreeable.

Thanks for the input. I think the stiffer suspension will be better for me being I am about 300lbs. I think the stiffer suspension is why I like my crf450r so much more than my ktm. I have never ridden a ktm mx bike so I'm very curious to how the power delivery is. I know even my buddies 450x has a lot more snap and grunt. Not that I'm looking to do wheelies but it's a real pain in the ass to get the xcw front wheel up past 2nd hear where both of the Honda's the x and the r come up in almost every gear.

300 pounds? You need springs.... The valving is what's poor on the SXF suspension. Designed for big hits and not good at picking up small trail litter.

Like others have said, virtually identical bike as the 450xcf. For overheating you can add a TrailTech fan, different radiator cap and Engine Ice.

Monk is right... the springs have to be able to keep you higher in the stroke where all the initial smoothness is found.  The heavier you are (I'm 235) the harsher the SXF is going to feel since you will already be partly into the mid-stroke just sitting on the bike.  You gotta get some heavier springs and set your sag correctly if you want to get any plushness out of the stock suspension.  The lighter 150lb weaklings don't complain about the woods bike application as much since they aren't starting so deep into the stroke.

Remember, I'm talking about the 450XCF, not the 500XCW.... completely different bikes.  The motors in the 450xcf and 450sxf are IDENTICAL.  The XCF is more out of the box woods friendly.

I picked up a brand new 14 450 xc-f. I knew id more than likely mostly be riding trails but wanted to have something I could still ride the track on. I was initially interested in the 500 xc-w. But was told the 450 was more atheletic and could do everything really well. I couldnt be happier with my choice.

I am also 300 lbs and when I bought the bike I valved the forks similar to the XC-F valving. Installed a Gold Valve in shock and sprung for my weight. It works really well in the tight stuff and the open stuff. Does not feel like a Moto bike in the woods at all.

Have a 13 450 sxf I use for scrambles, enduro and occasional MX. Stock forks sound terrible but I bought mine revalved, so hard to give feedback.

For off-road riding in general, not all out scrambles, I added a fan, larger tank, rubber bar mounts and 13/51 gearing. Hand guards and skid plates and what not raw all preference, but the stock gearing, stock cooling etc won't hold up to any trail ride slower than 3rd gear.

No complaints now though, and it's tame enough down low that it doesn't stall much or yank your arms out.

I'm 210lbs if that helps.

• Like 1

Does the post 2011 sxf and xcf have the same gear ratios? I have a 4 speed 09 sxf , and the 1st gear is too high for steep stupid stuff. Im now recovering from getting banged up by that thing on a steep steep steep rooty singletrack hillclimb. Love the engine , but way too much wheelspeed in first gear. Im looking to upgrade to either a 300 or or a newer 450. any ideas of the newer sxf gears vs xcf?

xc-f and sx-f motor and transmission are identical. Take a new sx-f and put a bigger fuel tank, 18 inch rear rim, and 1 click off sx-f suspension and you have a xc-f.

The forks are valved different on the XC-F & SX-F it's not just a clicker adjustment.

xc-f and sx-f motor and transmission are identical. Take a new sx-f and put a bigger fuel tank, 18 inch rear rim, and 1 click off sx-f suspension and you have a xc-f.

Im looking at doing the same thing (buy a 14 350sxf for woods riding ) doesnt the sxf have a 5 speed transmission and xcf have 6?

I will get the suspension revalved  with either and have a few sets of KTM wheels so not a big deal in that area, I am more concerned with motor/tranny, Should i be?