Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM carb problem: idle slowly decreases,stalls.

a friend just dropped his bike in for me to look at and it sounds like a carb problem.

its a 2005 drz400sm and has had some (unknown) engine mods and runs a keihin carb and yoshi power pipe.

the bike will idle ok then just suddenly die. if i turn the idle up it will idle fast and some popping can be heard in the exhaust.

then when i trim the idle back down the bike will suddlenly drop in idle for 10 seconds or so then just die alltogether.

when I turn the idle screw back up, the bike tends to 'run on' and takes a while for the idle to drop back down when throttling back down.

im guessing a bad needle setting or a blocked circuit somewhere?

apparently the bike carb was recently cleaned out, but the carb issue got worse and has been playing up for about 6 months...

im in the Philippines in a warm climate and running at close to sea level.

sorry im not real flash on carbs and my usual bike is a fuel injected xt660x yammy.

any input greatly appreciated guys!

Edited by hypoman

this is called 'Hanging Idle'.  Combined with a lot of popping on decel this is almost guaranteed to be a lean idle circuit.  In the FAQ section of the DRZ forum there are instructions how to correctly set the idle mixture.