Sign in to follow this  

big bore vendors?

I may get a chance to rebuild my 230's engine, I'll know more tomorrow. If I do, I'd love to put in a big bore kit, especially if I can get it up to close to 250cc. I would love a lot more torque and mid-range. I don't care about top end at all.

I see lots of references to "coeshow" but there is no website, no links to where to buy it, contact, etc.

I see some BBR references, but its not clear that they really make the 230 much bigger, going from the stock 221 to 231 hardly seems worth it.

My long time friend MillwoodVA has a 290 or so kit, but he had to custom import it from Brazil, and its not really commercially available.

What are current vendors of commercial products, with contact info?

Thanks

Pat

Is a large overbore necessary for better low and mid range?

When the time comes to freshen up the top end, I'll definitely consider what performance options there are.

I would look for a proven piston/cam combo, the right compression ratio and cam grind can produce magical results in most any infernal combustion engine.

It would have to run easily and happily on pump gas, no higher than 93 octane.

Crank easily.

Lug thru the slow rocky rooty stuff easily and happily.

If there are only miniscule gains to be had then I'd just go back OE.

I do believe teamrude makes some higher compression pistons and has a bit of experience with what combo's work well.

I talked to enginesonly. For roughly $1400, I can ship them my assembled engine, they will take it apart, do all the work and put it back together. Probably have to allow some more for gasket sets, new cam, valve springs, etc. so it might be closer to $1600 all in.

I agree that higher compression makes a motor more efficient, which can give good power. With the crap they sell here for pump gas, I'm not sure that going too much higher is good. I'm a big guy, I stress the motor a lot. I outweigh the bike.

I suggest you re-think fuel. Even at 2 gallons 93 and 1 gallon race fuel you can run some decent compression. Compression makes the bottom and mid come alive. I always explain it this way. You spend decent bucks on gas just to get to trails, you spend money for food and drink to go riding, why not add 10 bucks worth of race fuel for a 4 hour ride???? Buy a 5 gallon can and you now have 15 gallons of near 100 octane fuel (plus a little lead for valves) and you are happy with power?

Just going from stock to 11-1 is a big bang for the buck. Big bore is just that much better.

@teamrude, I had nearly that exact conversation with my riding buddy yesterday, before I broke my bike. He was concerned about the dishwater they sell as gas for his KTM two-stroke, and was talking about finding a source for Av Gas. I suggested he just go to his local bike shop, since they carry Klotz racing gas. He complained that it was about $50 for 5 gallons. I said it would cost him $20 to drive to the airport to get AvGas and it wasn't going to be cheaper than $5/gallon, so he's saving no more than $5 and wasting two hours of his time.

So yeah, race gas is well worth it once you add compression or other mods.

A bit more compression, a bit more displacement, a torque cam, and my 230 could rock.

Powroll will be back in business by the end of the year (if not sooner) I am told by reliable sources.

Prototype kits are being developed from 255 - 275cc

the std 250 kits that have been sold in the past by others, are actually 247.5cc (69mm)

Hope fully I will be the guinea pig tester for these kits that are in development.

I have always ran 12.5 compression on all 4 of my engines with 100 octane Sunaco or VP with no problems whatsoever. (Unleaded)

You can order pistons with a compression ratio up to 13-1 .

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406828497.456467.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406828517.208529.jpg

CRF230f performance upgrades:

Prototype:

69mm 13-1 compression

247cc

Coming soon:

Stroker crankshafts

With 4mm stroke

262cc

With 6mm stroke

270cc

Coming soon:

70mm piston

255cc

70mm piston 4mm stroke

270cc

70mm piston 6mm stroke

277 cc

Coming soon!!!

1mm oversize stainless intake valves.

Stainless exhaust valves.

Both designed for increased flow and more compression than stock valves.

Available for special order now:

From mild to wild:

Custom ground camshafts that are not in any catalog:

You choose the power band you desire.

Friction reducing coatings for piston skirts.

Cylinder head combustion chamber and piston dome coatings designed for heat reduction.

TBA:

Cylinder Head Porting.

Stay tuned....

• Like 1

oooOOOoo... Very tasty. Looking forward to Powroll coming back on line. Used a lot thier stuff on countless XRs and XLs great stuff.

I once tried to bore out a 125 to 750, but just pulled back a stack of washers... Ha!

Welcome to TT "DeepEnd"

Glad to have you aboard

Edited by adnohguy

Thanks!  Adnoh and everyone

Edited by DeepEnd

Both of these URLs go to sites full of 404 errors. For me, if they can't write a simple website, or don't care enough to make the links work, they are no longer a viable candidate.  YMMV

One url with 404, you consider that. Two, completely unique URLs? Not so much. Both work for me without issue. Also, you ping each url, zero packet loss. Me things that if you can't get to either, there is a problem in the hops between you and their servers.

Try this (if you care): http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Me thinks that you're forming a conclusion based upon an incorrect assumption. Makes no diff to me. I don't get paid if you do or don't use them. Doesn't change the fact that both are reputable, viable vendors. :thumbsup:

Or, are you just talking about bad links in their site? Even so come on... These guys are powersports people, not Steve Jobs bootlickers. Man, some people are quick to condemn over the silliest things.

bigbore thumber's site gives 404 when you click on any of their three "big bore kit" links. Which is what I'm looking for. I don't expect a state of the art website, but if they want to sell me something, they need to tell me about what they offer.

Fasthead.com's site is working now, but I can't find any reference to a 230F at all, let alone a big bore kit.

It great that some folks drive past cool shops, but when the website is all I have to go on, having broken links or no reference to what I'm looking for means that they won't get considered. All IMHO