Sign in to follow this  

2008 yamaha fz6 idles fine but cuts out in high rpms

Hey guys I have a 2008 yamaha fz6 that's fuel injected as far as I know. It idles fine and smooth but if I try to get into it, it gets boggy and barely accelerates. I have aftermarket exhaust that gives it that raw street bike sound but when I get into it the bike sounds like an enduro or something. Any ideas?

Yes it's fuel injected. When the exhaust was installed was anything done to accommodate that? Power Commander? BAZ? You'll need remapping somehow. What's happening is it's starving for fuel up top from a lean condition that effects it across the board.

I got the bike remapped with a dyno jet programmer, and didn't help anything, I pulled the fuel pump out and cleaned the fuel filter. And now it won't even start. Ordered a new pump and now just waiting for it to get here. Also I couldn't find a fuel filter anywhere except the one attached to the fuel pump, is that the only one?

I haven't got the new pump yet so it still won't start, but when it would there were no codes and it wouldn't pop just bog down, when it would idle it would be a smooth idle and rev fine in neutral.

Revs fine in neutral?only does it in gear? Even with the clutch in and in gear it won't rev up without bogging?

Edited by minimadness047

That's a good question I haven't tried that, tracking says the pump should be here any day so hopefully that may answer my questions

• Like 1

Did you solve this? I'm thinking about buying a used FZ6 (50k miles, asking $1500, cosmetic damage, cuts out at fwy speeds, been listed for a month on CL). 

Lots of threads about TPS problems and error codes out there. $176 for the part alone on RMATV for the sensor, if not covered by warranty.