Sign in to follow this  

Countershaft Oil Seal

I am getting ready to replace the oil seal, metal sleeve, and o-rings behind the front sprocket on my 2008 RM-Z250.

Does it matter what install first: the o-rings & sleeve or the oil seal? Also, am I supposed to put one of the o-rings inside of the metal sleeve and then slide the sleeve and o-ring on at the same time, or should I put both o-rings on first and then put the sleeve on?

Thanks!

Take a look at the sleeve. It should have a groove for an o-ring in the inside and one on the end. You need to use some tacky grease to kind of 'glue' the end one on. The inner one pops into the sleeve, gets some lube also, and then slide the sleeve on and install the sprocket. 

• Like 1

Thought I was clear, the o-rings go on the sleeve, the sleeve slides over the countershaft.

I understood what you said about the o-rings and sleeve. I am asking if it matters when you put on the outer oil seal.

Edited by fulton246

I understood what you said about the o-rings and sleeve. I am asking if it matters when you put on the outer oil seal.

Ah, ok. Put the seal on first. Shouldn't matter too much but it's easier to get tapped into place without the sleeve.