Sign in to follow this  

Help - DRZ Tank Install

Ran into a little difficulty with my install of a Clarke used tank - actually just a handful of questions.

1. Where the tank meets the frame there are a couple of rubber pieces that are horseshoe shaped - similar to the metal pieces that are on the metal stock tank.  Are these supposed to slide over the same rubber bumpers that the stock tank does?  They seem to big - do I remove the rubber bumpers from the tabs on the frame?

2.  What are the tabs the people reference needing to bend in to prevent wear - the only tabs I can find that seem like they'd wear are the above referenced tabs if the rubber bumpers are removed.

3.  Any idea what the length of the replacement petcock screws are?  The used tank I bought didn't come with them.

4.  The instructions I have see floating around seem to reference a fiber gasket - I don't have one with my bike - can I just use Permatex when mounting the petcock?

1: Leave the rubber bumpers on.

2: Not sure about any tabs ?

3: 20 mm (6 x 100 pitch).

4: Use Honda-Bond or Yama-Bond, and do not tighten to tight.  If you do, it could pull on the inserts and cause a leak.

Thanks Billdirt1 -  let's say I can't find one of those two rubber bumpers?  

• Like 1

You need to replace it. It's important for the stability of the tank and to mitigate vibration. There are also metal stays near the head tube that act as guides for the wiring that may need to be bent a bit to prevent them from rubbing the front of the tank. I think that is what qwaster is referring to above.

Lastly, I had to grind down the metal tab under the tank because it was a bit too long which gave me issues trying to put the seat on.

Edited by Joehio
  • Like 1

Purchase two new tank hold bumpers and secure them with handlebar grip glue. Then trim or bend the metal wiring/cable guides or they will cause holes. If you are missing one bumper then your tank is probably resting on a metal tab. Ask me how I know :)

Hope this helps.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks all - Madwasp - that was most helpful advice - cushion ordered.  In the meantime - any recommendations for rigging it temporarily while I wait for delivery?

After seeing the above posts I now remember the tabs.  All I did was bend them in with a hammer.

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

I pulled off my remaining rubber bumper and folded a microfiber towels over the area where the bumpers go to buffer shock and help support the tank up (after bending the guides/tabs) I used blue tape to hold the towels in position. Worked better than cardboard circles with holes in the center and washers covered in blue tape. Haha!

After the bumpers arrived I decided to trim the tabs down then I capped them with colored carb vacuum plugs/caps. Now if they ever touch the tank again they won't make holes because the vacuum caps cover the metal guides/tabs :)

I lost one of those cushions before...actually I think the dog made off with one, they're chewy you know.

Anyway I ordered some new ones and couldn't wait so I found something like an automotive PCV grommet that fit with some trimming.

Thanks all - Madwasp - that was most helpful advice - cushion ordered.  In the meantime - any recommendations for rigging it temporarily while I wait for delivery?

Whenever those things fall on the floor of my shop all I can think of is the stopper on the end of my Granny's cane....