Sign in to follow this  

1971 Suzuki TS250 - Refurbishment questions

Hey everyone, first post here.

I recently picked up a 1971 Suzuki TS250 from a family members garage.  From the looks of things, the bike was parked one afternoon after a ride and never started again - or prepared for any sort of long term storage. I got the bike home and started going through it peice by piece, and in doing so found a few pretty glaring problems. 

To start off, the carb was completely seized up. Emphasis on completely. It had never been drained, and was totally full of varnished gasoline.  the slide wouldn't budge, even after a full night of soaking in penetrating oil.  I finally freed things up by boiling the entire carburetor in water for around a half hour.  However, soon after the carburetor bowl shattered as I was trying to dissasemble it for further cleaning.  From the looks of things, I doubt I could have got the thing back in working order anyhow.

My question here is this: would a new manufacture Mikuni vm28 work in this bike if I find the proper adaptor boot to fix it to the piston? If not, can anyone point me in the direction of a different carburetor I should use instead? Any help would be appreciated.

Moving on from the carb, I already know of a few further issues that need to be addressed.  The gas tank doesnt leak, but has a fair amount of surface inside.  I've heard hundreds of different recomendations for how to take care of this, from solvents to acid wash to electrolysis. I'm also aware that if all else fails I could bring it to a local radiator shop, but I'd like to avoid the additional cost if I can.  The clutch is seized, and I really don't know how I want to address that- again, I've been told of several 'techniques' from rolling it down a hill and forcing it into gear, rolling it and working the clutch while locking up the rear break, opening up the case and tapping the assembly with a hammer and a block of wood, et cetera. If I end up needing to fully dissasemble the unit, I have no idea what torques to use on reassembly. For that matter, I'm not even positive how much oil the system holds, although I was told to use 20w-50 engine oil in the case.

As for what I know is good on the bike - the front and rear brakes work and the engine has good spark and compression. Apart from that, I really can't say.

Any help or tips you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to motorcycles, but I've been working on engines for most of my life.

Thanks again

Welcome to TT. Those are cool old bikes for sure. On the carby, I think you are in range on the bore size, not sure if the VM28 is appropriate for a two stroke or not.

Gas tank, start mild, then go wild if needed. Some vinigar might clean off the rust and won't damage the metal, even if left overnight. Also not real likely to eat up the paint if a bit is spilled then wiped off. Even with vinigar, it wouldn't be a bad idea to rinse well, swish with a cup of baking soda dissolved in water and rinse again. If setting aside, get a thin coat of 2 cyl oil on it to keep the rust away. If vinigar won't take it off, get some muriatic (readily available) or something and that will dissolve the rust almost instantly, then go after the metal if you let it soak long :D so supervise it and get it out and rinsed right away, and definately neutralize with baking soda. Protect yourself appropriately. muriatic shouldn't react violently, but will foam up a lot if it reacts. You  might dilute 50/50 with water. Always pour the acid into the water and not the reverse. The reason is if there is something in the water the acid reacts to, it will be just a bit of acid in water, rather than a lot of acid with a bit of water. Stronger acids can explod or boil so fast they get all over you. I've not had a problem with muriatic. Can't recall if those have an oil injection, but if you pre-mix, rust returning shouldn't be a problem.

On the clutch, I think I'd open it up and have a look. Best to see inside anyway and make sure there are no age/storage related problems. Who knows who/what may have moved in?!?!?