Sign in to follow this  

Which bike for my 14yr old daughter

Hi everyone.... This is the most confusing decision ever. I am planning on purchasing a bike for my daughter. Beginner. I'm looking at klx140l , ttr125lwe or crf150. I believe the crf 150 might be too fast for her being a beginner, so I was looking at a klx 140l. I need an honest opinion please. I have no knowledge of bikes. She won't be racing, but her friend wants to race.so not sure what to get.

I think the mist bulletproof choice would be the 150. If she wants to race then get look for a 150r as it is a race bike. For goofing around the 150f is a great choice. It'll last her a bit longer and all you need to do is change the oil. Remember that the bike is only as fast as you want it to be. To be honest either one of those bikes would be good for just riding around the yard and stuff. But wouldn't race with them. All about finding the best deal out there.

Good luck!

Thank you LoonRider. See already there is a difference between 150r and 150f. Thanks for info

Hi everyone.... This is the most confusing decision ever. I am planning on purchasing a bike for my daughter. Beginner. I'm looking at klx140l , ttr125lwe or crf150. I believe the crf 150 might be too fast for her being a beginner, so I was looking at a klx 140l. I need an honest opinion please. I have no knowledge of bikes. She won't be racing, but her friend wants to race.so not sure what to get.

HA! A crf150f too powerful? Youre crazy. My 10 year old brothers first bike was one and was bored in weeks!

TTR125LE has more aftermarket parts available.

Klx140l has disk breaks front and rear.

You can upgrade both bikes with inverted forks from there yz85 and kx85/100 fairly easy.

Both bikes are heavy but ttr is the lighter of two. There both really corked down from factory. Any of the two will need a bigger carb and pipe to get it to breath accordingly but when the need for more power arises they both offer bbk and cams.

Klx is fairly clean and is laid out like an mx bike, ttr is very crammed and has some odd way of mounting things.

Crf150f is very similar to ttr as far as what was talked about above.

Edited by Dexter42

The klx140l would be a good bike for a beginner. I had one when I was younger and loved it but if you get one I would recommend doing the kx100 fork swap. I've also rode a 150f and I am now racing a 150rb. Everyone I've talked to haven't been satisfied with the ttr125's.

Speed wise the crf150f and the klx150l are probably about the same. The are both good beginner bikes and would probably both work for her. I have a Crf150f and it was a great learning bike.

The klx140l would be a good bike for a beginner. I had one when I was younger and loved it but if you get one I would recommend doing the kx100 fork swap. I've also rode a 150f and I am now racing a 150rb. Everyone I've talked to haven't been satisfied with the ttr125's.

thank you. What will the fork swop do of I may ask? Edited by bikemum

Speed wise the crf150f and the klx150l are probably about the same. The are both good beginner bikes and would probably both work for her. I have a Crf150f and it was a great learning bike.

thank you . Is the klx 150l electric start?

TTR125LE has more aftermarket parts available.

Klx140l has disk breaks front and rear.

You can upgrade both bikes with inverted forks from there yz85 and kx85/100 fairly easy.

Both bikes are heavy but ttr is the lighter of two. There both really corked down from factory. Any of the two will need a bigger carb and pipe to get it to breath accordingly but when the need for more power arises they both offer bbk and cams.

Klx is fairly clean and is laid out like an mx bike, ttr is very crammed and has some odd way of mounting things.

Crf150f is very similar to ttr as far as what was talked about above.

uhank uou for all the info. I need to process it now. It helps though thanks.

thank you. What will the fork swop do of I may ask?

Yeah both the klx140l and the crf150f now have electric starts.

Yeah both the klx140l and the crf150f now have electric starts.

thanks

Could anyone tell me

Whether the new crf125fbe is a good choice.'i know it's not the same size as klx or the crf 150. But would it be a good choice for a beginner wanting to do everything?

Edited by bikemum

Could anyone tell me

Whether the new crf125fbe is a good choice.'i know it's not the same size as klx or the crf 150. But would it be a good choice for a beginner wanting to do everything?

I think it would be a great choice as well

Bikemum....how tall is your 14 year old daughter...this makes a difference.  The KLX140L and TTR-125LE are lighter and a bit lower in the seat than the CRF150F (the Honda CRF100F and the new CRF125LB (big wheel) are all about the same height as the KLX140L and TTR-125LE. Every one of these are trail bikes with aircooled 4 stroke engines (read:  low power 8-12 hp) with wide ratio transmissions (what you want for trail riding).  They are not meant for racing (i assume you are talking about motocross [MX] racing).They are great for learning the basics for a newbie.  Ultimately, if you daughter wants to learn to race, she can begin with one of these to learn braking, clutching, shifting, kick starting, etc and then move up to a race bike if that is the direction she wants to go and she is ready. 

MX race bikes (at least in the less than full size category) are things like watercooled 2 stroke Yamaha YZ85, Kawasaki KX85, Kawasaki KX100, KTM 85SX , KTM105 SX, Suzuki RM85/RM100, Honda CR85R/RB and the watercooled 4 stroke CRF150R/RB.  Everyone of these race bikes have triple the HP of the trail bikes we mentioned above and they arent meant for newbies.  Did I mention these are fast, fast, fast bikes.

Given that newbies move up pretty quickly, I might suggest you look at buying used.  These trai bikes you are talking about are easy to find in very good to near perfect condition simply because a lot of experiments with wives, girlfriends, kids, etc dont work out and they dont get ridden or they grow out of them quickly.

My 3 kids started on CRF80F, CRF100F and CRF150F  and moved up from there.  I would look for the best year/price/condition for any of these bikes and jump at the one that has the best value combination of these three factors as there is not much technological difference between them.  I have never owned one, but I do like the KLX140L better of the three since it has front and rear disk brakes (the other bikes have rear drum brakes that are not as good...but certainly adequate for the relatively low power of the trail bikes).

Dont even bother with the suggestion about upgrading the front forks on the KLX140L...way more effort and cost than it is worth.  That is something people consider when the rider is going beyond the ability of the stock suspension, but they dont want to move them up to the MX bikes.

Also....if you go used, check craigslist closely and follow the pricing to get an idea of the asking price inthe market.  Also, you can look at www.kbb.com/motorcycles and www.nadaguides.com/motorcycles to get an idea of pricing.

Dont forget to tell us how tall your daughter is  since some of the bikes being talked about may be too small or even too large depending on her actual height.

Edited by SilvFx

Bikemum....how tall is your 14 year old daughter...this makes a difference. The KLX140L and TTR-125LE are lighter and a bit lower in the seat than the CRF150F (the Honda CRF100F and the new CRF125LB (big wheel) are all about the same height as the KLX140L and TTR-125LE. Every one of these are trail bikes with aircooled 4 stroke engines (read: low power 8-12 hp) with wide ratio transmissions (what you want for trail riding). They are not meant for racing (i assume you are talking about motocross [MX] racing).They are great for learning the basics for a newbie. Ultimately, if you daughter wants to learn to race, she can begin with one of these to learn braking, clutching, shifting, kick starting, etc and then move up to a race bike if that is the direction she wants to go and she is ready.

MX race bikes (at least in the less than full size category) are things like watercooled 2 stroke Yamaha YZ85, Kawasaki KX85, Kawasaki KX100, KTM 85SX , KTM105 SX, Suzuki RM85/RM100, Honda CR85R/RB and the watercooled 4 stroke CRF150R/RB. Everyone of these race bikes have triple the HP of the trail bikes we mentioned above and they arent meant for newbies. Did I mention these are fast, fast, fast bikes.

Given that newbies move up pretty quickly, I might suggest you look at buying used. These trai bikes you are talking about are easy to find in very good to near perfect condition simply because a lot of experiments with wives, girlfriends, kids, etc dont work out and they dont get ridden or they grow out of them quickly.

My 3 kids started on CRF80F, CRF100F and CRF150F and moved up from there. I would look for the best year/price/condition for any of these bikes and jump at the one that has the best value combination of these three factors as there is not much technological difference between them. I have never owned one, but I do like the KLX140L better of the three since it has front and rear disk brakes (the other bikes have rear drum brakes that are not as good...but certainly adequate for the relatively low power of the trail bikes).

Dont even bother with the suggestion about upgrading the front forks on the KLX140L...way more effort and cost than it is worth. That is something people consider when the rider is going beyond the ability of the stock suspension, but they dont want to move them up to the MX bikes.

Also....if you go used, check craigslist closely and follow the pricing to get an idea of the asking price inthe market. Also, you can look at www.kbb.com/motorcycles and www.nadaguides.com/motorcycles to get an idea of pricing.

Dont forget to tell us how tall your daughter is since some of the bikes being talked about may be too small or even too large depending on her actual height.

thank you SilvFx. My daughter is 1.65m and have only ridden a ttr125. I really wanted to purchase used bike butninwullnpay have been looking for about 6 months. They are as scarce as anything. It's like finding a needle

In a haystack. We are in Australia. So when you see one. If you blink it's sold. I love the klx140l. My first choice however I saw what everyone was dying on thumper talk about the electric and kick start so I thought the crf125fbe wod be a good choice as it

Has both options. She can use both and learn how to kick start etc as well.

She won't be mx racing as yet, not sure if she is interested however it seems once you start riding anything is possible.

What do you think about the ced125fbe?

Crf125fbe

thank you SilvFx. My daughter is 1.65m and have only ridden a ttr125. I really wanted to purchase used bike butninwullnpay have been looking for about 6 months. They are as scarce as anything. It's like finding a needle

In a haystack. We are in Australia. So when you see one. If you blink it's sold. I love the klx140l. My first choice however I saw what everyone was dying on thumper talk about the electric and kick start so I thought the crf125fbe wod be a good choice as it

Has both options. She can use both and learn how to kick start etc as well.

She won't be mx racing as yet, not sure if she is interested however it seems once you start riding anything is possible.

What do you think about the ced125fbe?

Crf125fbe

what the shit is 1.65 meters? America is not metric lol