Sign in to follow this  

Electricals / Dead Battery on the CRF250L

Just like to check with all of you.

Have you experienced a flat/dead battery after not riding for 3 days?

I have since replaced 2 original batteries since i bought the bike in November last year. The most recent incident happened last weekend after i went to Thailand on a 3d2n trip on my other bike. Everytime i ride the other bike for longer trips, the CRF250L battery dies (in 2-3 days)

I know the CRF250L is probably jealous and throwing a tantrum....

I ride the CRF250L everyday commuting 40km at least and it does not give me any problems with starting nor holding charge.

The first 2 batteries could not hold the charge so i changed fresh batteries. My current 3rd battery was able to be saved but it is not charging too well as it holds a wavering 11.1~11.2v since jumping the bike with a spare. I clearly remember it used to hold steady at 12.1V

I have these electrical done to my bike.

1. EJK
  2. Voltmeter to the headlight
  3. 2 LED Aux Lights to the headlight
  4. GPS mount direct to the battery
  5. One stupid Toll Reader - for all vehicles here in Singapore for the government to suck our money dry when we travel on private Vehicles.

Before this third incident, i only had the EJK, GPS mount and Toll Reader. Only 2 weeks back i installed the LED Aux Lights and Voltmeter.....

I love riding and i alternate between my bikes when i head for long distance trips up. I hate to have to change the battery each time i do not ride the CRF.

My GSA keeps charge for 4-6 weeks and of course i will fire her up to take a short ride to charge the battery again.

Any tips for me?

• Do the gadgets draw any power from the battery when the keys are off and not riding?
  • How can i solve this?
  • Does making a switch break the continuity so the gadgets do not draw any power?

Would like to thank all in advance for your kind advice and to tap on all the collective knowledge and wisdom from you all!

Your gadgets are probably drawing some power. I would suggest running them off a switched source or installing a device like the fuzeblock.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php

Here are some other alternatives

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-powerhub2-power-distribution-wiring-harness-module?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CMKuxLiY7L8CFSMV7AodJREAcg

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rowe-electronics-pdm60-power-distribution-module

And some do it yourself instructions.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

• Like 1

Hi Diesel-1,

Thank you for your reply. I will look into this. Did the Centech AP-1 do the same thing?

Does anyone knows?

The AP-1 does not allow for switched power but the AP-2 does.  I am pretty sure if you use the AP-1, your devices will continue to draw power.

Oh 2 more things. 

1. Disconnect your negative terminal after a ride and connect it before your next ride.  If the battery is dead then you just have a bad battery.

2.  If the battery is good one of your devices may be draining the battery.  This will show you how to test it out.  Instead of pulling fuses just disconnect the devices 1 at a time

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Do a leak check and right off the bat you can see if there is power being drawn. Then disconnect suspected electronic gadget and perform leak check again. That should narrow it down quite a bit.

Btw, does anyone has a volt meter installed on their CRF250L?

What are your readings?

Mine is reading 13.4v when switched on. On idle it is 13.9v.

I am trying to confirm if my coil is fried.....

fir_chan, on 05 Aug 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

Btw, does anyone has a volt meter installed on their CRF250L?

What are your readings?

Mine is reading 13.4v when switched on. On idle it is 13.9v.

I am trying to confirm if my coil is fried.....

switched ON

DSCF2076.jpg

engine RUNNING @ 850rpm (approx.)

DSCF2080.jpg

cheers and goodluck!

• Like 1

Some years back I got tired of changing batteries in my bikes...took action:

Installed battery tender juniors to all and keep them plugged in when not in use. This worked so good on the bikes I now have the tractor, lawn mower, wood hauler, etc. all plugged in all the time and haven't bought a new battery since.

They have many models for most types of applications. :ride:

http://batterytender.com/battery-tenderr-junior-high-efficiency.html

022-0192_1.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs!

I brought the bike in for a thorough check and now can confirm that the bike is working well.

Did all the tests and it shows that the coils are charging the bike well.

Rerouted all accessories power to a switched source and will monitor for the next few weeks.

My relief is that the only possible problem for the wrong read outs coming from a possibly defective volt meter which costs 15 bux.

Small problem.

Also changed to a Shorai battery and hopefully there is no lasting problems.

Edited by fir_chan
  • Like 1

i started my bike up for the first time in a month with no problem. i think having multiple things wired to the battery isnt good for it over time

A month w/o riding during the summer?/ Were you going thru withdrawals ??

• Like 1

i'd kill to ride some trails haha

If your serious i have an Ex wife  :devil: :devil: In Kalifornia?? :p

• Like 3

Some years back I got tired of changing batteries in my bikes...took action:

Installed battery tender juniors to all and keep them plugged in when not in use. This worked so good on the bikes I now have the tractor, lawn mower, wood hauler, etc. all plugged in all the time and haven't bought a new battery since.

They have many models for most types of applications. :ride:

http://batterytender.com/battery-tenderr-junior-high-efficiency.html

022-0192_1.jpg

i'm with you!!!  i have 8 jet skiies...  after replacing the batteries almost every year, i bought a battery tender and they last for as long as i have the skiies now...  i always plug my crf in when i park her at night and the benefit to this also is that my 12v handlebar power supply is powered off of the battery tender plug...  so i NEVER forget to unplug my aux. power...  i have to unplug it to plug my battery tender in...